2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Stalling After Changing IAC Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 PM
tinmann840
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Stalling After Changing IAC Valve

I was having problems with the truck stalling at idle so I changed the idle control valve and the problem went away but now a few weeks later it truck stalled after coming to a stop but started right back up and by the time I made it back to the house the problem went away again. So what is my next step here? Take the throttle body off clean it and replace the gasket? Map sensor? It's also not throwing any codes at all.

Last edited by tinmann840; 02-04-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Clean the throttle body first. That's free. (or, two bucks for a gasket.....) Mine stalls once in a while as well, no codes, but, tb is probably filthy.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:23 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by tinmann840
I was having problems with the truck stalling at idle so I changed the idle control valve and the problem went away but now a few weeks later it truck stalled after coming to a stop but started right back up and by the time I made it back to the house the problem went away again. So what is my next step here? Take the throttle body off clean it and replace the gasket? Map sensor? It's also not throwing any codes at all.
Clean the TB and make sure you disconnect the battery.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 AM
tinmann840

I think I found the problem. I left a meeting at my Local and stopped at a store and the truck didn't start. I checked the terminal and the negative was loose. I tightened it and got a jump and the truck kept stalling at idle until the battery charged up a bit and I made it to the house and put it on a charger. The alternator was putting out 14.5 so that ruled that out. I let it charge for a couple hours and it started right up no stalling. I came down to check it later and it wouldn't start. Sounds like a dead cell. I've read that a low battery will cause rough idling and stalling, Is that really the case?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yeah, these trucks seem to be really sensitive to electrical problems. Replace your battery, and see what happens.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 AM
tinmann840

Well problem solved. It appears that a low battery will cause these trucks to stall at idle. I took it to autozone and the battery checked out good which was strange because it had died on me twice. They told me it needed a good charge but it was good. That made me think that there was a wire grounded some where that was causing the drain and sure enough there was. I had the truck painted recently and my tool box it connected to the alarm system. When they removed the toolbox to paint the truck they broke one of the wires and it was grounding inside the toolbox. That and the fact that the negative post was loose really drained the battery. So when the battery was low I would get the stalling at idle even though the truck would start and the idling problem would go away after the battery charged up a bit.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Stalling After Changing IAC Valve