2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Relocated IAT questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Relocated IAT questions

Anyone have pics showing relocated intake air temp sensor in a CAI tube location?

Anyone who has done this, do you run rich in the winter time when the air is really cold?

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Relocated IAT questions

I have contemplated that mod and decided against it. I had a "Car Chip" obdii monitor thinggy that took readings on various sensors as you drove and basiclly came to the conclusion that if the IAT is moved, your gonna run richer for sure, that's gonna cause a dip in mpg... once your cruising, the intake air temp drops after a couple of minutes down to the normal op temp (forget what that was) and stablilizes there. I think the better thing to do is get the intake air isolated as much as possible to help drop that intake air charge temp... my .02 anyway...

Old 10-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, I pretty much don't have a good feeling about it as a permenent mod, but I may try it just to see. My concern is that in the coming months, when I leave for work in the morning, it can easily be in the single digits, temperature wise. The colder the IAT is, the more fuel it will dump.

Might be a good mod for the hot summer months though. I am thinking that I could modify my FIPK tube so I can put the IAT in and out whenever I want. Then, I can relocate to the tube in the summer, and put it back in the manifold in the winter. Just some thoughts I had, but I need to try it first to see if it even makes any difference.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:42 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

one mod I did that did make a difference (slightly ran richer) is I put a fuel cooler on the front of my truck. dangerous I know, but here in the summer it's often over 100 deg and the hot fuel in the tank will lead to pinging. cooling it helps lower the intake charge temp and reduces pinging on the worst days.

when I installed it my mpg jumped 6.5% as measured on a long trip last summer. worth the $100 bux for the parts in my opinion... In the winter months in the mtns, it doesnt seem to cause a problem. but our winter temps up in the mtns are in the teens, not near as cold as where you are...

Quick Reply: Relocated IAT questions