2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Instrument cluster/ gauges question!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 08:05 PM
xtremez28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster/ gauges question!?!?

I just bought a used 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.2L V8 (5 speed), but one problem with the truck is that for some reason it has a diesel cluster instead of the gasoline cluster that should be in it. Can I simply buy a new cluster online and install it myself or do I have to send the cluster off to be calibrated?? Does the computer automatically put the correct miles on the clustrer or does it have to be set by a mechanic??? Where is a good place to buy some white faces gauges and how hard is the install?? Thanks!!

Old 10-12-2005, 05:17 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Default RE: Instrument cluster/ gauges question!?!?

I wish I could answer the ALL of the questions you have, but I can't. I can tell you that cluster removal is relatively easy and straightforward. I take mine out once every year or so just to get the dust out as well as fully clean the clear cover. And since you have a 5-speed, you don't need to worry about the A/T indicator getting messed up. As for the rest of the problem, you should be able to find one at a wrecking yard, but as for setting the speedo, I do believe that is a no-no. If setting it were that easy, everyone would lower their mileage indication just to trade it in. The old rule in California (I haven't lived there in almost 10 years) was that when the the odometer is replaced, the mileage indicated on the old odometer was to be noted on the vehicle. Usually in the door jamb where the Federal VIN is located. The new odometer reading should also be indicated so that simple math can be used to get the accurate mileage of the vehicle.

For the White Gauge faces, the easiest I know of is to just get a new gauge face from JCWHITNEY or SUMMIT RACING (I'm sure there are others out there as well). I haven't done the face replacement yet, but it is on my to do list. I couldn't tell you how difficult it is.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:43 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

face replacements are about as easy as takin out your cluster and or replacing it.. just gotta pop off the needels .. if you get a decent face replacment... it comes with the little fork lookin tool... i bought a white set and it looked like cRAP so im eventually gonna get the aluminum set with the blue glow needls and numbers... just waiting till the price goes down.. the dash system (subsystem) is actually pretty easy to tear down... just becarefull of poppin off the front bezel.. did my mine a few times to do projects and i cracked my bad... forked out 80 bux (really a steal) for a new old one ... oem dodge wanted like 180 for it... just take your time and remember how it all came out. and see gauge clusters ALL the time on ebay... check it out

Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 PM
xtremez28

Thanks for your help guys. So if I buy a new cluster and put it in, the computer will not automatically put the correct miles up on the LED screen? My truck currently shows 82000 miles and according to the carfax report the truck was last reported to have 53000 miles on 6/30/04. So the miles seem like they could be correct, but I don't know who put the diesel cluster in or why. Will the computer put the miles onto the led readout??

Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
xtremez28

Do you think I can just change out the gauge face or do I have to change out the entire cluster. I am not sure if the diesel face that I am seeing is just a diesel gauge face on my stock cluster or if the whole cluster has been changed out. Any ideas??

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster/ gauges question!?!?