2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone know their 97 Ram Ignition Switch/Gear Shifter Interlock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 PM
YevKasim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know their 97 Ram Ignition Switch/Gear Shifter Interlock?

97 Ram 1500 full size 288k miles automatic

I tried to shut my truck off and I couldn't get the key out. Knowing I had an OEM repair manual and some screwdrivers, I thought I'd give it a shot. I got the key cylinder and ignitions switch removed and put back together. While doing all this I got very familiar with the switch, the interlock with the gear selector on the steering column.

When I got everything back together, I find now that I can't get the ignition to do anything in Park. I have to shift it to Neutral to get it started. I also learned that the I really have to hold (or push) up the gear shifter on the steering column way up in order to clear the ignition switch interlock on the column. Can the gear shifter be adjusted so that I can start the truck in Park.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to describe?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Yep, need to adjust the linkage on it's way to the trans. (yeah, sorry man, Under the truck) There are some plastic bushings in the linkage that wear out, break up, and fall apart, giving you a fair bit of slop in the linkage. What you are experiencing is one of the symptoms of that.

If you don't already have one, Look in the Service Manual thread in the FAQ section, and grab the 96 service manual. (it will be closest to your truck.) Procedure for adjusting the shift linkage is in there.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: Anyone know their 97 Ram Ignition Switch/Gear Shifter Interlock?