2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:39 AM
steveonmars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump problems

Hi,
About 4 months ago my truck wouldn't start one day, there was no gas getting to the engine. Tried it the next day and it started right up. I drove a few more days and then it did the same thing again. I replaced the fuel pump and bought the Delphi pump instead of a cheap one. The truck's been running and starting fine until a few days ago when it wouldn't start again. I waited a while and then it started. It started the next morning but wouldn't start after work. The truck then sat a couple days and now it started again this morning.
Does anyone have any ideas, may be I just got a bad fuel pump or could it be something else? I don't want to keep putting fuel pumps in it if something else is causing this. Is there a way to test the fuel pump either before or after pulling it?
Thanks

Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Get a fuel pressure gauge, and put in on there. See what pressure looks like when it won't start.

Do you hear the pump prime? If you prime the pump a couple times before trying to start, will it then fire up? (just turn the key to on, let the pump run, shut it back off for about 10 seconds, do it again, THEN try and start the truck.)

Need to find out what's missing when it won't start.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:48 AM
steveonmars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try priming it the next time it doesn't start. It's been starting fine the last couple days so I'll have to wait til it acts up again.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by steveonmars; 02-15-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump problems