2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why is my ride so rough?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:14 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Also, make sure that weights are on both sides of the wheel. I find that you get a finer balanced wheel that way, although some shops only add weights to the inner side of the wheel for appearance sake, unless you ask them to add necessary weights to both sides of the wheel for the best wheel balance job possible..

Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm going on the assumption you are referring to just a harsh ride as opposed to a balance issue/vibration some are talking about.

Cheap shocks, military tires.....of course it's going to be a rough ride. Those tires I'd say are at least 25 ply, meant for a 5 ton vehicle....lol....NO flex at all. Ask yourself, did it ride like that before these tires/wheels were installed? I'd say on your truck it's probably like riding around on solid rubber tires. I'd try to air down to a point where you can get some sidewall flex and see if that improves the ride, otherwise you might have to just get used to it.

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-16-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Big heavy tires, cheap shocks. That is why you have a bumpy ride. The heavier tires will magnify every bump you hit. Just nature of the beast. Better shocks might help, but, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Tossing about 5-600 pounds of something or other in the bed will probably smooth you out a bit, but, bite into your gas mileage. I know my 3/4 ton truck rides like... well... a truck.... when empty, but, with a load on, it's nice, smooth, and comfy. Of course, I don't have any real desire to leave a ton of dirt in the bed, just for a bit o' ride comfort.

Edit: Ninjaed by Mr. Keaton.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Big heavy tires, cheap shocks. That is why you have a bumpy ride. The heavier tires will magnify every bump you hit. Just nature of the beast. Better shocks might help, but, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Tossing about 5-600 pounds of something or other in the bed will probably smooth you out a bit, but, bite into your gas mileage. I know my 3/4 ton truck rides like... well... a truck.... when empty, but, with a load on, it's nice, smooth, and comfy. Of course, I don't have any real desire to leave a ton of dirt in the bed, just for a bit o' ride comfort.

Edit: Ninjaed by Mr. Keaton.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks everyone! I have around 40 psi in these tires, and they say 6 ply, but they're as hard to plug as my Dad's 8 ply. On good roads, they ride fine. The problem is around here, less than 5% of roads are that good. Bearings, ball joints, everything's in good shape. I know little about shocks, but I think maybe all this work killed them really quickly? Don't get me wrong, I know this is a truck. And it will never float along the road. But I'd like to smooth it out some. What do you recommend?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
Wow, thanks everyone! I have around 40 psi in these tires, and they say 6 ply, but they're as hard to plug as my Dad's 8 ply. On good roads, they ride fine. The problem is around here, less than 5% of roads are that good. Bearings, ball joints, everything's in good shape. I know little about shocks, but I think maybe all this work killed them really quickly? Don't get me wrong, I know this is a truck. And it will never float along the road. But I'd like to smooth it out some. What do you recommend?
Whatever you're willing to spend. I've had good luck with Monroe gas matics. Asking about what shocks to get is like asking about what tires/muffler/tuner/etc. Everyone will have their own opinion.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

I personally don't know or understand if good quality shocks will give these trucks a much nicer ride. Smooth ride and solid front axle don't go together very well.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
I personally don't know or understand if good quality shocks will give these trucks a much nicer ride. Smooth ride and solid front axle don't go together very well.
+1....

Old 02-17-2014, 09:31 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

It seems to me that the problem is that this suspension was intended for wheels 1/3 the weight of mine. I'm looking for ways to help. I have thought about remote reservoir shocks, adjustable shocks, even a fluid balancing media in the tires.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
It seems to me that the problem is that this suspension was intended for wheels 1/3 the weight of mine. I'm looking for ways to help. I have thought about remote reservoir shocks, adjustable shocks, even a fluid balancing media in the tires.
Or, go back to stock wheels/tires meant for your truck and avoid throwuing money at a problem I dont think will go away with fancy shocks.

Quick Reply: Why is my ride so rough?!?!?