2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge 2500 v8 no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM
M&O Performance
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2001 Dodge 2500 v8 no start

well, i think the fuel pumps been going out because ive had to cycle the key to start it otherwise it would crank for 2 to 3 seconds before firing. well its done this before and i let it sit and it always started again within a day or 2... Anyways it only seems to do it when its really humid, or raining/ snowing.......

Fuel pressure- when key is in on postion and pump cycles, hits 40 some then falls... when cranking holds at 40-50psi then falls when cranking stops..

im 90% sure i need a new fuel pump assmbly.

the only part i dont understand is why it worked that way before but when its humid or snow/raining it wont start at all..

i just drove it yesterday and it was the same as always!

what are the specs? how long should it stay?

No C.E.L.

anything helps thanks guys!!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Actually, I think your fuel pump is fine. Spec is 49 PSI.

What are you missing when it won't start? Humid is a hint..... I would guess: Spark..... Check the cap/rotor/wires.... see if you are getting good spark to the plugs.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:42 PM
M&O Performance
Amateur

but shouldnt it hold fuel pressure? it drops basically instantly! when the fuel pump stops going

Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM
lance49726
Amateur

Originally Posted by M&O Performance
but shouldnt it hold fuel pressure? it drops basically instantly! when the fuel pump stops going
Yes you are right it should hold. The reason is your check valve is bad and not holding the fuel pressure which is why you have to cycle the key to get it to start.

Same thing happened to mine.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 PM
M&O Performance
Amateur

but why would it not run when its humid? also it will not go through a high pressure car wash running.... it will shut down.. so it could be both ?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that the engine is affected by moisture is almost a sure sign that you also have a tune-up related issue. My guess is that your distributor cap has a crack in it or is somehow allowing moisture to get underneath...that will cause all kinds of problems and make the truck simply not run. I would just do a full tune-up and replace the fuel pump as well. To replace the fuel pump, I always lift the bed and slide it back onto the bumper until i have room to change the pump....but there are some that say drop the tank.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 AM
M&O Performance
Amateur

oh if im replacing the pump, im cutting a square hole in the bed and putting it on hinges... make it easier from now on. ive done fuel pumps before. and im kindof in a tight spot. my driveway down where im going to school..

Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M&O Performance
oh if im replacing the pump, im cutting a square hole in the bed and putting it on hinges... make it easier from now on. ive done fuel pumps before. and im kindof in a tight spot. my driveway down where im going to school..
haha that way works too! I just cant bring myself to cut a hole in my bed...but yea if you don't have someone to help you lift the bed then thats not really a good option.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

There is a brace that runs over where the fuel pump is that you will be cutting.... compromises the bed. It's not like this is something you do once a week. Drop the tank, or pull the bed. Don't go cuttin' holes in stuff.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:17 PM
M&O Performance
Amateur

nevermind found the problem.. replaced distributor cap and shes good to go now..

yeah i saw the brace and cutting is definately a no go lol.

but its fixed. thanks anyways guys!!

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge 2500 v8 no start