2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 2500 sputters and bucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Brian NY V10
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 2500 sputters and bucks

I can spin a wrench and remember how things are disassembled, but diagnosis isn't my strong part. I ask for help here, please...Okay, I was driving home on a highway last night. I was on cruise control at 70 or so. The truck started to buck like I was pulling a load but I wasn't. Then it was sputtering like only half the engine was running. I was close to an exit so I got off the highway. The rest of the way home was alright under 55 MPH. I noticed slight sputtering from time to time a month ago. It seems to happen when I had less than a half a tank of fuel. I thought it was bad fuel so the last fill up I used 93 octane. It ran smooth as ever. But last night I was down to a quarter tank. Am I thinking my fuel pump is on the way out? Thanks so much for all the help...

Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Think I would take a fuel sample, and see what you get. Just disconnect the line at the fuel rail on the engine, stick it in a cup/jar/containerofsomesort, and cycle the key a couple times. Set your container on a shelf for about ten minutes, and see what separates out. If it is contaminated, drop the tank, clean it out, and put in fresh gas. You can do a fuel pump at the same time if you like, but, no guarantee that will solve the issue. Your pump might be fine......

Quick Reply: 1994 2500 sputters and bucks