2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 1500 4x4 Vacuum testing procedures.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Jared_S2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 1500 4x4 Vacuum testing procedures.

Ok first off, my vacuum tester is actually a vacuum brake bleeder with a guage, I hook up a clear vacuum line with some attachments and if I physically suck on it (I know, gross) I get vacuum so it is seal up tight, but when I stick it in the rubber attachments at the actuator nothing. I have latex gloves on, shouldn't the vacuum be strong enough to suck up the slack in the fingertip of the glove? I follow the lines from the actuator to the hard lines and then they again turn soft. I pull the soft lines off at that point. The red line is to disconnect the actuator from what I have read, no vacuum in 2Hi (or 4Hi). The black line gave me a tiny bit of vacuum and actually sucked my glove up in 4Hi, but hardly anything to brag about. So my question besides the glove fingertip is: at the vacuum switch on top of the transfer case, there are four lines going into a rubber adapter. If I pull the adapter off of the switch, the line coming from the engine (green) should give me vacuum correct(so that would tell me if I have vacuum at the switch)? and if it doesnt then my switch isn't getting vacuum, but if it does have vacuum at the adapter, then my switch is bad or needs cleaned correct? and also, just to verify. That switch on the TC UNSCREWS...correct? Because mine is really not budging, and HOW THE HECK DO YOU REACH THE VACUUM LINE COMING OUT OF THE ENGINE?! It seems so far away when I get under there.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Jared_S2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have vacuum at the adapter with the lines, and at the start of the first hard lines, I made a new contraption to test vacuum and I have -18 to -20 hg or whatever the unit is. HOW DO i GET THE SWITCH OFF?! jeeze oh man it just will not unscrew! For some reason I am only get vacuum to the black line, and the black hard line needs replaced, so I am running the black soft to red hard to red soft and putting the red soft in the place where the black goes at the actuator to see if I get 4x4 and nothing...I haven't really driven so maybe it wasn't lining up but it looks like I probably need the actuator too. Just...how do you get the switch off...it won't unscrew :/

Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Just unscrews. But, consider how long it has been in there. It's prolly quite comfortable, and really doesn't want to go.

Quick Reply: 01 1500 4x4 Vacuum testing procedures.