2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First sign of a failed cat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First sign of a failed cat?

Alright. So a couple of times during the last week I've detected the smell of rotten eggs while driving my truck. Faint, intermittent, but definitely there. The first time I thought it was just outside air. Now I'm thinking it's the truck and I know the rotten egg smell is a classic sign of a failed cat.

However, I have no CEL and plenty of power, and those are also classic symptoms.

So here's my question: what do we usually see first? A CEL and code for downstream O2 sensor? A loss of power? Or stinky exhaust?

I know most of the exhaust needs replaced, as I can see at least three visible leaks on a cold morning. I'm just trying to determine if this is a "wait till summer and more cash" problem or a "fix it yesterday before the truck explodes" problem.

Edited: I also replaced the plenum pan and timing chain in January, and new O2 sensors at the same time. Truck runs like a champ; better than it ever has before.

Last edited by Twmays; 02-27-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 AM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cat won't always throw a code. too much backpressure is never good for an engine.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gertie240
cat won't always throw a code. too much backpressure is never good for an engine.
Yup...and every cat is a little different in how they fail. Some will stink as a warning sign...others will just plug up without any smell at all and cause all sorts of fun problems. Some won't plug up but will just disintegrate and not pass any emissions tests and will set O2 trouble codes. You can always just cut your stock one out and run a straight pipe or put in a universal cat until you have more funds to do the whole exhaust. Sounds like a good time to try for some true duals

Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 AM
JTB488
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They stop eating.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^lol...

Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also sell them for $75

Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JTB488
They stop eating.

When part of it is on your fan belt and the rest is missing.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why does my car smell like rotten eggs?

March 28, 2013

One of the most common things that cause a car to smell like rotten eggs that is the catalytic converter. Many people will tell you that you have a bad converter, but it is actually a symptom of another problem. By acting quickly, finding and repairing the problem causing the smell from your converter, you should be able to save it.
Your car’s catalytic converter is supposed to take in pollutants from the engine’s exhaust and convert them into clean air. Today’s engines are said to produce less than 2% pollutants, so unless there is a problem, the converter should have a very boring job. And, with a healthy well-tuned engine, the converter should last the life of the car.
However, defective engine controls could cause the catalytic converter to be flooded with fuel, which contains sulfur, hence the rotten egg smell. If not repaired, the heat generated by the chemical reaction from the increased amount of sulfur passing through the converter will cause the honeycomb shaped filter to melt. Once melted, it will be an obstruction in your exhaust system causing poor engine performance, sluggishness and stalling.
Just replacing the catalytic converter at this point is only a temporary solution. The cause of the fuel flooding the converter needs to be found and addressed before a new converter is installed, so it will not happen again.
Some things associated with flooding a converter with fuel are: a defective oxygen sensor, a leaking fuel injector, and a defective pressure regulator. Even bad coolant sensors have been known to trick the ECM into sending too much fuel.
So, if you get that rotten egg smell and you’re sure it’s not something as simple as a shorted battery, start by having your ECM scanned for codes.

Quick Reply: First sign of a failed cat?