2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:15 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Superchips

ok, so I realize its been beaten to death and that SCT is definitely the way to go . I want to go to a SCT in the future when I do more mods to the truck but for now would just like to get rid of the deathflash and get what I can out of the truck with only "mod" being flowmaster exhuast and being in highschool funds aren't yet as good I'd like.

Question:
1. What is everybody's opinion on the economy tune (I haven't heard much good, but Idc much about economy)? Hows it worked out for others?
2. Whats the story with the 87 or 91 octane tunes? These are the only octanes available here (potown iowa).

Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the superchips on my truck for a while before the fine gents around here educated me....I then sold it on ebay for about 200 bucks and bought my SCT. I only ever ran the 87/91 octane tunes on it...i've heard that the "towing" tune actually is the best one for gas mileage but I never tried it. I do realllllllly wish the sct had the ability to adjust for tire size...that's the one thing that the superchips has it beat on

Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Economy tune sucks. Any "economy" you might gain is lost because you have to keep the gas pedal floored to go anywhere. The difference between the 87 and 91 tunes is just that. With the 87 tune you can run regular gas. With the 91 you have to run premium. I never noticed that much difference between the 87 and 91 tunes. The best tune on the SC IMO was the tow tune. Much firmer shifts and a shifting a bit higher in the RPM range, but I believe you have to run premium with the tow tune. I preferred the superchips over the SCT because you can purchase the separate transmission tuning feature and make custom shift schedules (this was on my Dakota).

Old 03-04-2014, 11:41 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How was the power gain with the 87 or 91? Not looking for anything big and realize thats impossible with this but did it just FEEL better to drive? Even tho I have the death flash I find it suprising that many can't even break tires loose. I can squeal em like nothin and their only a year old and show nearly no signs of age, what kind of difference could I expect?

Sorry for the book but really been thinkin bout this lately and most of the testimonials I see are from people that couldn't even chirp tires before death flash removal and I don't see that big of difference being likely, just lookin for somethin more accurate

Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 AM
Charlie5280
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, unless you're doing a bunch of other stuff, save your money.

IMO, the real way to use a tuner is for flex fuels....IE running E85, or Natural Gas if it's cheap by you.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Nothing short of a $$ hot rebuild is going to get any major power gains, and there aren't major MPG gains to be had with these gas engines.

But I definitely saw an improvement with the SCT 87 tune over stock, but the MPG gains are lost if you use that extra power (gotta keep a light foot).
Everything to date (see my sig) has only got me 3mpg gain.

Now what did supprize me was, going to the 92 tune didn't cost me any more... after I finished seeing what it could do and got to normal driving, the power gain means you don't have to drive it as hard, so it goes easier on gas and I get an extra day out of a tank, which offsets the price difference between the 87 and 92 octane at the pump.

Quick Reply: Superchips