2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need a little more top end on B3500

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Big Al1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little more top end on B3500

I love my work van (97 360 magnum), it's very reliable and has great low end grunt for hauling heavy loads. Problem is, it's like a fat man running uphill trying to merge on the interstate. Any suggestions of what, if anything would give it a little more top end (60-80 mph) without giving up the low end grunt? I'm tired of getting boxed out by 18 wheelers trying to merge into traffic. On a side note, any idea's of how to deaden sound in the cargo area? cheaply??

Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Tuner from Hemifevertuning.com

Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio Roller rockers.

Fix the plenum.

Headers, high-flow cat, 3" single exhaust, all the way back.

Probably under a grand, will get you about 20 hp/tq, eliminate torque management, and give you back some of the power lost simply because of mileage/age.

Not only will it give you more top end, it will give you more power throughout the RPM range. Bear in mind, these are not top end motors. Most of your power is going to be down low, and mid-range.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only thing that will make a little more power is major top end rebuild. High flow heads, headers, cat-back exhaust, intake, and cam. And 4.10 gears

Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Big Al1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had considered the shorty headers, but I read that they don't do much for the top end. I forgot to mention I had the cat replaced with a hi flow magnaflow cat due to a potential clog, didn't see much improvement there because I'm running the stock muffler (no holes and it's quiet and ...I like that). I don't think the muffler is that restrictive based on the size. Not looking to pull the heads unless it starts blowing smoke from valve seals or blows a head gasket (knock on wood!). BTW, I thought those magnum heads flowed pretty decent? It's not, nor will ever be a hot rod... but it would be nice to have it still pulling at 5k when i hit the passing gear merging on the interstate. Since I've had it, it's rarely seen 4000+ RPM and usually chugs around far south of 3000. That's probably why its lived so long. Thanks for the insight though.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The kegger manifold will never give you good power above about 4500 RPM, it just isn't designed that way. For power up there, you want the M1, or Hughs Air gap. You could do the kegger mod, and move your power band up a couple hundred RPM.... Have you fixed the plenum yet?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:33 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al1
I don't think the muffler is that restrictive based on the size.
You'd be surprised what a difference it makes when you replace that stock muffler with a high flow unit. Would be a compliment to your high flow cat. I noticed a little improvement maintaining speed up hills.

Agree with suggestions Heyyou made. If you want to get up to speed little quicker I would start with changing rear differential gear ratio to 4.10 gears. Do you know what ratio you have now? I plan on doing this in the future and if I was starting out on a unmodified Ram it would be the next thing I do after the plenum fix. Would get that heavy van moving faster in less time and bumps the RPMs up about 400rpm putting motor in stronger power band.

Last edited by beeker; 03-07-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Unless your stock muffler is clogged full of crap, changing it *might* net you 1 horsepower. There are dyno charts out there on the web doing comparo's of mufflers. The differences were barely even measurable.

Quick Reply: Need a little more top end on B3500