2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram 1500 turnsignal, wiper, headlight electical issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 PM
somethingfunny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1998 Ram 1500 turnsignal, wiper, headlight electical issue

Just picked up a 1998 1500 Club Cab with 5.9 and 4x4. Runs strong, trans shifts smooth and 4x4 works as it should, the issue I have is with the wipers mostly, if I turn on parking/headlights the wipers come on, if I switch on high beams and flip wiper switch to fast then off the wipers quit until I hit the low beams, it also activates wipers with hazards and left turn signal but not the right. Figured it was the wiper turn signal unit so I got a new one and same problem. Where should I look for the crossed up/broke wires?

On an unrelated note, the truck didn't generate much heat so I replaced thermostate, still doesn't make my feet all toasty, a little puzzling there also.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Got your email. New thread was a good plan. (sorry it took me so long, my internet sucks.)

In any event, the only place those systems cross is at the multifunction switch, which you have already replaced..... how did the connector look? If you have tilt wheel, that tends to pull the wires out of the connector, and bad things happen. I would check that first.

Also, in the FAQ/DIY section, is the Service Manual thread. In it, you will find the 01 manual in PDF format. That is going to be the one closest to what is actually in your truck. Wiring diagrams are in there, and might be helpful as well.

Might want to take a look at the connector on the back of the headlight switch as well, that's another known failure point on these trucks.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 PM
somethingfunny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, that is where I was leaning (tilt area and/or light switch).
I'm gonna pull the dash apart tomorrow and see what I find.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ram 1500 turnsignal, wiper, headlight electical issue