2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 ram 1500 5.2 4wd questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:55 PM
jpyatt1986
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ram 1500 5.2 4wd questions.

Ok where to start. I got burned on a deal on this truck. I took it for a test drive and everything ran fine the whole time. No problems it seemed mechanically. Engine strong trans shiftedgreat no noises nothing seemed wrong. I drove it for 3 full days no problems at all than it began. I was hearing a lot of noises coming from under the hood. Pinpointed them down to all the bearing being bad. New alt water pump tentioner pulley later the noises were gone. Than noticed that the anti freeze level kept going down. The trans started to bang and make noises. Changed the fluid and filter and that's gone now but noticed coolant down by the main seal. Took it to my mechanic. He pressurized it and found three freeze plugs leaking along with the timing chain cover gasket and something on top of the engine that he choose not to rip apart the find out. He told me to ask around to see if this is common or if it might be something else causing these problems. He doesn't do major repairs just inspections and small stuff so he doesn't have time to do all the work so it's going to be me doing the work. He also said it might be possible that it sat for an extends period of time and the could have rotted due to non use. Honestly it seems like every and I mean every gasket is leaking on this thing. Plus side is he said the head is good so that's a plus. So I ask has anyone had this happen to them if so what did u find that may have caused it.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Freeze plugs were steel from the factory, so, if the cooling system was neglected, yep, they rust out. Easy to change for the most part though. Get brass replacements, then you won't have to worry about that again.

While you are doing the timing cover, might just as well replace timing chain and gears. The stock chains are prone to stretching......

Have a gander at the Plenum thread stickied at the top of this forum as well. Since you are going to be in it, might just as well fix it now....

Leak under the A/C and alternator is probably just the bypass hose. They hide under there quite well. You will see it when you go after the timing cover. Just replace the hose. Parts store has 'em on the shelf.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:39 PM
jpyatt1986
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advise thanks for the heads up on the other stuff to look at. Only thing that I really don't know if I want to screw with is the timing. I usually do all my own work and know enough to get me by but when it comes to the timing I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. I don't even know if it's easy or hard because I've never done anything to the timing on anything.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

It's really easy, once you have the cover off, just roll the motor over to line up the marks on the gears, then you just swap the old set, for the new set. Just don't let anything move while doing it, (Which isn't difficult either) and make sure the marks on the new gears line up nicely.

Quick Reply: 96 ram 1500 5.2 4wd questions.