2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Backfiring, Wont Run

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by D Adams
I have read many threads on the same issues but different descriptions.
I also but my truck as a work truck. Got it for a good price. Now I am paying for why.
Its doing all the same symptoms as probably hundreds more.
In the last two months since I bought it I have replaced the accelerator position sensor , all 4 O2 sensors. all the plugs. cleaned throttle body. checked air filter, replaced the fuel pump. I only have electrical and computer left right? It's worse now than it was when I bought it only 2 months ago.
Has anyone figured out what it is?
I have to fix this on my own now or I am going to loose a lot of $$$ in this
On top off not being safe enough to take my daughter in it for fear of it stalling in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Welcome to DF!

Check the plenum. There is a thread stickied at the top of this forum detailing exactly what the problem is, how to diagnose it, and how to fix it. Need that out of the way before much else will make any difference.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:55 PM
D Adams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also bought my truck as a work truck. Got it for a good price. Now I am paying for why.
In the last two months since I bought it I have replaced the accelerator position sensor , all 4 O2 sensors. all the plugs. cleaned throttle body. checked air filter,checked cat converter, replaced the fuel pump. I only have electrical and computer left right? It's worse now than it was when I bought it only 2 months ago.
Hesitates, stalls, won't rev past 4000 rpm,
On top off not being safe enough to take my daughter in it for fear of it stalling in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by D Adams
I also bought my truck as a work truck. Got it for a good price. Now I am paying for why.
In the last two months since I bought it I have replaced the accelerator position sensor , all 4 O2 sensors. all the plugs. cleaned throttle body. checked air filter,checked cat converter, replaced the fuel pump. I only have electrical and computer left right? It's worse now than it was when I bought it only 2 months ago.
Hesitates, stalls, won't rev past 4000 rpm,
Read my response to your first post. Right above this one. Check the plenum.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:02 PM
captainredneck1028
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gohard522
Ok so i tested the fuel pump today. that read at 45(psi) i also noticed that the oil smelled like gas when i took out the dipstick. probably from being flooded maybe? the truck ran today for about 1 to 2 minutes. it ran good. i could rev it up to 4000rpms and everything, then it started sputtering and backfiring after the 2 minutes. seems to me it only likes to run when its cold but then once it warms up it will start backfiring and sputtering. Not sure what else i should check for? i also found a vacuum line that was broke, i got a pic of it in the attachments section if anyone could tell me where it goes...
the vacuum line your finger tip was on goes toward the front into a protective sleeve and over towards the drivers side under the battery. (idk what it goes to as I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Attached Thumbnails 99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Backfiring, Wont Run-20141110_134616.jpg   99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Backfiring, Wont Run-20141110_134634.jpg  

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Backfiring, Wont Run