2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water in glove box and pass side carpet

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 PM
zach01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in glove box and pass side carpet

My 2001 dodge ram 2500 my glove box has water in it and the pass side carpet is wet. I've been dealing with it for a couple years but now I'm tired of it.

Wat can it be? Is there everything else beside the window that could be leaking?

The a/c in my truck has been removed so it can't be that

Any ideas

Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

I think that's usually a sign of a heater core leak, i'm not sure. EDIT: Nvm that is usually just the carpet that gets wet from the heater core.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Take a garden hose to the truck and watch to see if you can spot it leaking. Heater hoses are on that side but you would smell coolant. And I don't know how it would get in glove box.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 PM
zach01
Professional

Not heater core. And yeah I have standing water in glove box and carpets are soaked like no other. Only happens in the winter and wet months. I'll do the hose trick. I have a new carpet kit I wanna install just waiting to
Track down this stupid leak. If the house trick doesn't work any other ideas?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Water has to be getting in somewhere.... have a friend help you with the hose, while you crawl around inside the truck looking for the leak. Might help to remove the glove box, so you can see up there better.

First place I think I would look is the area where the heater blower gets its air from. That's right at the base of the windshield, and would be a good spot for water to find its way in.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd guess cowl area leak. remove glove box and soak windshield and cowl with water hose. seal the leak with rtv. you'll probably have to remove the cowl screen. bend windshield wipers all the way up into the up position which takes the pressure off the base. slide the clip 1/16 inch sideways to release. mark the position of the wipers on the windshield before removing.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:42 PM
zach01
Professional

Alright thank you guys. I'll dig into this problem this weekend. and get back with the findings. Cause I'm trying to fix the dodge back up to it's glory like it was when I got it 6 years ago with 90k sitting at 193,400 as I pulled in the driveway tonight.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 AM
zach01
Professional

Okay so I'm 99% sure i found the leAk. Someone before me installed recon led cab lights. And they never worked so I forget there up there well I took the the pillar covers off and glove box out. Had my dad hit it a garden hose and no thing ti he got to the out side cab light and bam water came in pretty damn good. So I pulled off 5 lights and silicone the hell out of them and the seem to cure the leak. I'm going to see wat it'll cost to have the lights removed and holes filled

But thanks for everyone's help And input

Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
VARam1500
Amateur

As I was reading this thread (today, after you found the problem) I was planning to post a reply that said "have you done any electrical work on the truck yourself?". I had the same symptom on a car I had back in the '90s. I had added fog lamps and where I drilled out a firewall plug to pass through the rocker switch wire into the cab, water was running along the wire, through the firewall, and into the cabin. Soaked the carpet when it rained.....IF..the car wasn't parked level or downhill. This kind of problem can be such a nuisance and an aggravation to find.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:52 AM
zach01
Professional

Yea I felt dumb but I'm glad I found it. Now I got pony up and find a body got to fill the holes and paint roof I never liked the cab lights they are 3rd gen led recons

Quick Reply: Water in glove box and pass side carpet