2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Growl at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 PM
GTXpress
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growl at highway speeds

I have a 1998 2500 5spd. My issue is I have a growl that starts at around 55 and gets worse as speed goes up. But it only does it, or noticably, when I just barely get on the throttle. If i get into the throttle enough to gain speed it wont do it, or like i said at last noticably. This growl does come with a vibration, my mirror looks like i have subs, then when i let out of throttle it rides smooth.

I checked front axle u joints at suggestion of a co-worker and my service manage, replced the one with play, everything else is tight, with no difference. Front driveshaft u joints are tight. Rear shaft u joints are tight. Yokes at trans and rear diff dont have any play. So now I am back to the drawing board.

So have any of you guys ran across something like this that you could let me know what fixed it so I can think of where else to check.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the rear end pinion bearing can make a growl or roar or howl or whine when accelerating and a different noise when coasting. shake the rear yoke and check for any movement. play is bad, but it can be noisy even without play.

is your noise in the front? or are you not sure.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:47 PM
GTXpress
Professional

I cant tell where the noise is. it doesnt make any noise coasting, just with a touch of throttle. There is a small window that you can work the throttle back and forth and the noise will change slightly as the throttle is moved, and if you let all the way off it stops and if you give it more to avtually gain speed itt seems to stop.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 AM
tincan57
Captain

On the diesel side there's a post about drive shaft balance with a 2500 at 60 mph same symptoms. Guy had his drive shaft balanced and cured the problem (both). K.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 AM
pheonixthree

Since you cant tell where it is coming from... Could it be the CV joint in the front drive/prop shaft?

Try dropping the front drive shaft out and and see if noise goes away. It is easy to do your self and quickly done. If the noise goes away get it looked at ASAP! if it binds it could rip out your transfer case! I wish I had! Ujoints look good but the CV Joint Ball is all chewed up between the two rear u-joints

Last edited by pheonixthree; 03-25-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 PM
GTXpress
Professional

Your saying the shaft connection at the t case then? Drop the front shaft and see what that does. I will have to do that. I will report. Will also check if any of my weights fell off or moved on rear shaft.

Thanks

Honestly hate smart phones.

Quick Reply: Growl at highway speeds