2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 2500 new frt disc for towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Bigbluedodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 2500 new frt disc for towing

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 2 wheel drive. I tow a camper with it and time has came to replace the rotors and disc. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good combination? Slotted? Brand? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Just go to the parts store, and pick up their stock replacement rotors. They are more than adequate to the task for anything you do with your truck. The slotted/cross-drilled rotors were designed to let the gases that the pads gave off when they got hot a place to escape, which helped reduce brake fade. New pads haven't had that particular issue for a years now. (brake technology has come a LONG way.)

If your rotors are staked on from the backside of the hub/bearing unit, I would have them turned before installing them. (don't care that they are new.) If they just slide on without having to disassemble the front half of the truck, then, it becomes optional. (and if you have pedal pulsation, it's a simple matter to yank 'em, and get 'em turned. Not so with the ones that are staked on from behind.)

Quick Reply: 1998 2500 new frt disc for towing