2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cast Aluminum Transmission Pan Magnets

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 AM
wjamesbass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cast Aluminum Transmission Pan Magnets

Hello all, while changing my transmission pan and filter I went ahead and put a A518 Mopar Performance cast aluminum pan in place of the old one. The bolt pattern matched up fine with my 46re, and I attached the filter extender to the valve body. But I still have two questions.

What should be done with the pan magnet? Since the pan is cast aluminum, the stock magnet will not stay attached. The drain plug provided with the aluminum pan is not magnetic either, and I'm not sure that a magnetic drain plug would trap enough of the magnetic silt that clogs solenoids and valve bodies.

I am going to reattach my old bypass fluid filter to the frame as well, and I believe the best place to put the one I have would be inside the frame and close to the return side of the 46re. To do so, though, I will have to cut the return line, which has already been cut to allow for fitment to an external cooler.

Would there be any disadvantage to running flexible hose for the entire length of the return circuit, e.g. from the oil cooler to the filter and then into a new barb fitting at the transmission?

I plan to spend the weekend thinking about and researching this (and working on my girlfriend's car) before tackling it again early next week but I am already thinking of dropping the pan again if necessary for no other reason to put in the GM conversion solenoid, and am grateful for that tip.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2014, 11:01 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

There have been several threads on this forum that discuss the installation of an external transmission filter using the return line, especially to get rid of the in-line check valve that tends to clog and cause premature transmission failures. No issue in tapping into that line - just if you need to extend the line, be sure to use hose rated for use with transmission fluid.

As for the pan magnet, might want to consider magnetizing the drain plug that you have. You can also epoxy magnets to the pan too, if desired.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 AM
wjamesbass
Rookie

The check valve was deleted as part of the last rebuild, and I do like the idea of epoxying a magnet to the pan bottom. Although I suspected it, it's good to know that the return line can be clipped back a little further if not entirely replaced.

As well, I may try to magnetize the external filter itself for peace of mind, either by stacking a couple of round magnets inside or lining bar magnets around the outside.

Thanks!
Will

Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Just be careful where you place the magnets on the pan - you want to ensure that they do not have any clearance issues when re-installing the pan (for example, not rubbing against the valve body, etc.).

Check this thread out for more information on the return hose and check valve delete.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

Old 03-29-2014, 03:41 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

here is an EXTERNAL filter. i do have one on my dak.
man o man i about forgot yes its a cut & past sorry. __________________
after you clean the trans. add this to your*chrysler*trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size

Quick Reply: Cast Aluminum Transmission Pan Magnets