2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting water pump off without special tool.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HighwayDUB
What I mean is what did you use to hold the water pump pulley still, while you tightened the fan nut? Did you just put the belt back on first and use the tension from the belt to hold the pulley still?
Oh. I actually have big enough hands that I just got a good grip on the pulley and gave it a good cinch.

I did have to do it twice though. The first time, I thought (as has been mentioned here) that the reverse threads would be enough to hold it on without much pressure, but the first time I started it up the fan flung right off. Damn lucky I didn't damage the radiator.

Definitely want some amount of torque to home it in place. Either use a strap wrench or find some other way to hold it in place and tighten it down.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:27 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
Amazon.com: Lisle 44180 Fan Clutch Spanner Wrench: Automotive

That's the tool you need. I'd say that $35 is better than $90 any day...I have the same wrench and it works like a charm...saves a ton of hassle trying to use strap wrenches and other tricks.

thanks, I might pick up that tool.....

and thanks for all the replies!!

Quick Reply: Getting water pump off without special tool.....