2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting water pump off without special tool.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:03 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting water pump off without special tool.....

I have a 98 1500 5.2, and am going to be changing the water pump.

The one on it now is a press on style, and the one I'm putting on is also a press on style. No bolts. Thing is, the one on it now that I'm taking off has the 4 holes on the outside perimeter of the pulley, so I can just put 2 bolts in the holes and use a prybar against the frame, while turning the fan nut with a big adjustable wrench. But I just noticed the new water pump I have has the 4 holes on the inside perimeter of the pulley, so the holes are right next to the nut spindle, and there wont be enough room to fit the prybar between the bolts on the new pulley without it blocking the fan nut.

My local auto shop rents out the bolt-on style tool only, not the press on or universal, and they sell the universal tool for 90 bucks.

Any suggestions before I drop 90 for this tool? I'd like to get this new one on without the tool if possible.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think you could try a strap wrench? I almost went that route, but was able to get enough torque on it without it.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 PM
jconlin
Professional

When I did mine recently I used two bolts slightly smaller than the holes on the water pump, ( I didn't worry about tearing the old pump up because it was shot) and I just loosely slid them in there at eleven O clock and eight I clock ( straight up and down from eachother) and used a 36 inch long screwdriver I have to wedge between them and held that with one hand and used an adjustable to break free the fan clutch, leave the belt on so that when you break the fan free you can just spin it off

Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Twmays
Think you could try a strap wrench? I almost went that route, but was able to get enough torque on it without it.
What did you use to get the torque?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just meant I was able to tighten the fan on the pump enough without having to fight with the bolts in the holes... Not that I got an actual torque measurement.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM
HighwayDUB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Twmays
I just meant I was able to tighten the fan on the pump enough without having to fight with the bolts in the holes... Not that I got an actual torque measurement.

Sorry for the confusion.

What I mean is what did you use to hold the water pump pulley still, while you tightened the fan nut? Did you just put the belt back on first and use the tension from the belt to hold the pulley still?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon.com: Lisle 44180 Fan Clutch Spanner Wrench: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 44180 Fan Clutch Spanner Wrench: Automotive

That's the tool you need. I'd say that $35 is better than $90 any day...I have the same wrench and it works like a charm...saves a ton of hassle trying to use strap wrenches and other tricks.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

I used a chain wrench on the pulley, to hold it in place. Big wrench on the nut for the fan. Smack wrench with hammer to get big nut to break loose, and then just spun it off by hand.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 AM
jconlin
Professional

Originally Posted by HighwayDUB
What I mean is what did you use to hold the water pump pulley still, while you tightened the fan nut? Did you just put the belt back on first and use the tension from the belt to hold the pulley still?
If I can remember correctly those are reverse threads so just spin it down to when it touches and it won't come offi just used the belt to hold it though while I did that

Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM
getdown78
Veteran

Advance auto loans the correct tool kit to remove the clutch fan nut from the water pump !

Quick Reply: Getting water pump off without special tool.....