2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

abs and brake light

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
i4got68
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs and brake light

So, my abs light came on today and was on for about 15 minutes before the brake light flashed on for 5 seconds and then went out but the abs stayed on. About 5 minutes later, the abs went out, any ideas on the problem? I did redo the rear brakes and lines a few weeks ago and bled the master cylinder and all 4 brakes. Kinda stumped here.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i4got68
So, my abs light came on today and was on for about 15 minutes before the brake light flashed on for 5 seconds and then went out but the abs stayed on. About 5 minutes later, the abs went out, any ideas on the problem? I did redo the rear brakes and lines a few weeks ago and bled the master cylinder and all 4 brakes. Kinda stumped here.

More than likely it's the speed sensor in the top of the rear end that's starting to fail. When my first one went out, it did exactly as you describe. Intermittent BRAKE and ABS lights. After a while they were on full time. Dealership told me it was the ABS control module...which happened to be between $175 and $375 depending on new or refurbished.

I basically let the lights stay on because the brakes worked and the ABS worked

Fast forward a few years. In a random put in for service, the tech asked me about the lights and we discussed the above. He suggested I change the rear end speed sensor, or rear ABS sensor and it's also called. I think it was $35 new, and sure enough, the lights went out.

Quick Reply: abs and brake light