2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS Sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM
soloflite
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Sensor problem

1997 Dodge Ram, 4x4, 5.9l

recently received the abs light and brake light on my cluster. After inspection, I pulled the abs sensor out of the rear diff and found that it was destroyed, must have broken apart. I pulled the pan on the diff, pulled the drive shafts and cleaned all the muck out and put it back together w/ a new abs sensor.

The lights were cleared for about 8.5 miles, then they came on again. after disconnecting battery, cleared the lights again, however after about the same distance driving, the lights come back on. I've done this several times, and also inspected the sensor. I've even tested the sensor for resistance and getting 924 on the multimeter, so I'm assuming its a good sensor.

Speedo is working fine.

I used my scanner on the computer, but no faults are found, so not sure if I need a dealer or someone to clear a code that has been recorded from the initial breakdown of the old abs sensor or not.

Kind a lost here on this topic. What else can I do to troubleshoot this? Do I need to take to the dealer to reset something? Is it possible the abs pump is bad? I wouldn't think the abs pump is bad, only cuz of the sensor being broken. What about a bad bearing? Not sure on this one.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by soloflite; 04-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 PM
soloflite
Professional

Bump, anyone with ideas, what to look at next??

Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Do you have 2 or 4 wheel ABS? (are there speed sensors on the front wheels?)

Speedo is driven off a sensor on the end of the trans/t-case (2 or 4wd).

How did the tone ring in the rear diff look? If there are teeth shaved off, that could be a problem as well.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:41 PM
soloflite
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you have 2 or 4 wheel ABS? (are there speed sensors on the front wheels?)

Speedo is driven off a sensor on the end of the trans/t-case (2 or 4wd).

How did the tone ring in the rear diff look? If there are teeth shaved off, that could be a problem as well.
Not sure if it's 2 or 4 wheel abs. I've never seen sensors on the front wheels, so assuming it's 2 wheel abs.

Tone ring look fine, no teeth missing. Installed another new sensor yesterday, after 4 miles it kicked the abs and brake lights on again. so not a sensor problem I can figure.

It's a 4 x 4.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Ok, other things that might trip the lights are the brake switch, and the e-brake. Make sure the e-brake pedal returns all the way to the top.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 AM
cableone

Same intermittent ABS/Brake light problems after replacing the sensor on my '94 Cummins. Turned out to be a fuse not making a tight connection. A loose wire would give the same results......

Quick Reply: ABS Sensor problem