2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM
countrygirl95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck stalling

My truck runs great but sometimes it will stall out when I slow down for a light/turn. Also when it idles after about 10 mins the intake gets really loud and the trucks idle fluctuates up and down until it dies out. All my gages look good...my oil pressure is alittle on the low side but still within the normal window and there is no check engine light on. Can anyone help me?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Welcome to DF!

Have a read thru the sticky thread at the top of this forum. "Be all, End all, plenum thread." A lot of what you describe sounds like a vacuum leak, or a failing O2 sensor, both of which are symptoms of a blown plenum.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM
countrygirl95

My truck only has one o2 sensor and I changed it recently. also cleaned out the throttle housing and all three sensors attached to it and changed my purge sensor....gave it an oil change with new spark plugs and it is still dying out

Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

When you had the throttle body off, did you look down into the intake? Any oil in there?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:35 PM
countrygirl95

Yes I shined a flashlight in there and it looked fairly damp....looked oily too

Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Blown plenum.

There is a steel pan on the bottom of the intake, that is bolted in place. The gasket between the plate, and the intake, likes to blow out. Gives you a nice vacuum leak, and sucks oil into the intake. The burning oil will smoke the O2 sensor, and destroy the catalytic converter. Also fouls plugs.... (just as a side benefit....)

Need to fix that..... which means, intake needs to come off. Good time to do a complete tune-up as well, as it will never be easier to get to the distributor as when the intake is out of the way. (Dist does not need to come out to pull the intake.)

Also, since almost everything on the front of the motor needs to come off anyway..... good time to do water pump, and timing chain and gears. (especially if the truck is near/over 100K miles.) Most of the work for those is already done. Its like 8 more bolts for the water pump, and then six or eight more for the timing cover.

Doing the timing chain and gears on my truck was one of the BEST improvements I have done. I was amazed at how much better the engine ran when I was done.

Quick Reply: truck stalling