2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

left the donut magnet out of the tranny pan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM
smoky614
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left the donut magnet out of the tranny pan?

Well i just finished changing my tranny filter and after i got it back on and got it all nice and tight. Ran it for a bit made sure it wasnt leaking, it all looked good. Untill i started to clean up and noticed i forgot to put the magnet back in. I now what it does but i was just wondering how important it really was. I would hate to waste the time and mostly the fluid i just put in it. But if its going to tear up my tranny then ill buy more fluid. Just on a tight budget is all. So whats yalls input?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:59 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

Good to have the magnet in there to catch metal shavings as the transmission wears. If it were me, I'd take the time to re-install the magnet. If you have a clean 5 gallon bucket, you should be able to use the bucket to recover your fluid and re-use it after installing the magnet.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It "catches" the metal debris floating around in the fluid, if enough were to be present it could potentially clog the filter, however, I would think it would take a huge amount of material in a short time span to really get that bad.

In any event as weak as the 46R(H/E) series transmission is I think I'd bite the bullet and pull the pan and put the magnet in.

Get a fresh clean bucket and a good cloth like filter or the like and you can try and save as much fluid as possible, and just replace what you lost.

(If you decide to pull the pan again you could also install a drain plug, they're pretty cheap, it will save a lot of hassle in the future, trust me)

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
smoky614
Professional

Alright, well i guess im gonna suck it up and put her back in. Next question, will I need a new gasket or just use the same one, I just did it today and ill put it back in either tomorrow or the next day. No driving other then the initial test. P.S. its one of the cheap cork gaskets. like i said, on a budget!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be ok, shouldn't of had enough time to get all hard and useless, just take it easy.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 AM
smoky614
Professional

Alright, got her back in there and thanks for yalls inputs and quick responses. I didnt get to the drain plug but def going to throw it on there next fluid swap!

Quick Reply: left the donut magnet out of the tranny pan?