2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fan clutch and cel light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan clutch and cel light?

A recently replaced fan clutch went bad again yesterday. Was warrantied by shop so no problem there. The weird thing is I got CEL when I got on the highway. There were two codes , one for abs sensor, and for a knock sensor. I told the mechanic it doesn't have a knock sensor. He just looked puzzled. I wanted to find out why the motor lugging to spin bad fan clutch set a code. The abs light never came on at all. I don't get the connection and it isn't that important.
Another question..is it fact or fiction that laying the fan and clutch in horizontal position can allow the silicone to leak into bearings. The fan clutches come horizontal in a box when they are new.
I just had mine off doing plenum a few weeks ago and am wondering if that maybe what happened or was it just a bad part to begin with. This mechanic never heard anything about keeping the fan vertical when removing.

Last edited by ReadRam; 04-11-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Yeah, codes for items that don't exist are rather puzzling..... Clear the codes, drive it for a while, see what happens.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn`t matter which way you lay the fan clutch, it shouldn`t have any effect on it at all.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 AM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another example just because someone wrote it on the web doesn't mean it's true. I've read posts on here and several info articles about ruining fan clutches by laying them flat after removing to perform other engine repairs.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Another example just because someone wrote it on the web doesn't mean it's true. I've read posts on here and several info articles about ruining fan clutches by laying them flat after removing to perform other engine repairs.

Just because you read it on the web doesn`t mean it true, that for sure.
Ive removed several fan clutches from vehicle over the years to replace water pumps and other things, and ive never had one go bad yet.

Quick Reply: Fan clutch and cel light?