2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random stumble at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:52 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you still getting the codes too?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I replaced the o2 and cleared the codes last night hoping it would fix the problem but it didn't. It's stumbling still today

Old 01-05-2017, 07:10 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Do you have California emissions? If so, you have a downstream O2 relay.

Here's what else I have found...

98-? years have: black/white and dark green/white going to the O2 heaters. They also have black/light blue and orange/black OR tan/white to the sensor part of the O2.

?- 2001 years have: dark green/white and brown/violet OR brown/white to the heaters. They also have black/light blue and light green/red OR black/dark green to the sensor part of the O2.

If you are still getting the codes, check your wiring. Otherwise, I am no longer sure it's the O2, if it is that intermittent. You might also want to try your PCV valve and/or MAP sensor. I guess the important thing with your IAC is to NOT try to push/pull the plunger mechanism while it is out of the truck. Clean it and the seat in the TB, but gently.

Last edited by dbbd1; 01-05-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Novarider
Captain

I replaced the iac,tps,map sensors all at the same time and it didn't fix it. I don't drive it that often so I kinda gave up on it. Now it's my only option so I have to get it fixed.

The fire started (as best I can tell) on the passenger side fuel rail. I know the fire traveled down to the top of the transmission as some vacuum wires were melted on top of the transmission. the crankshaft position sensor is on the passenger side on the back of the block right? Could it be the crankshaft position sensor?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:44 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Yup, could be...

Or even just the wiring...

Get mopar brand.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd get the correct O2 sensor on there first.

I wouldn't rule out the camshaft position sensor/pick up coil. Sometimes you'll get a code, sometimes you won't. I got a code when mine went out and it had a major hesitation when I hit the gas and would intermittently die at idle.

I doubt it's the IAC since it will still bumble around when you hit the gas because opening the throttle plates bypasses what the IAC is there to do (let air pass through the throttle body).

Check the resistance on your fuel injectors.

Did the fire get any of the PCM wires?

How old are your spark plug wires? They might look fine on the outside but be breaking down on the inside.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Novarider
Captain

I replaced the entire wiring harness after the fire as well as the distributir cap and rotor and wires

Old 01-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Pick up coils are only $25 at the parts store. Took me a while to find one because the people at the parts store have never heard of a camshaft position sensor and I didn't know that it's also called a pickup coil, I had to show it to them for them to know what I was talking about.

Check the resistance on the fuel injectors. I had a hesitation problem on my Camaro and I ended up having two bad fuel injectors. We're lucky on our trucks when it comes to the fuel injectors being out in the open, I had to take the top of the intake manifold off of the Camaro just to test them.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Mind you, some of us are talking about the cam sensor (in the disty) and some of us, the crank sensor (on the bell housing area).

Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Mind you, some of us are talking about the cam sensor (in the disty) and some of us, the crank sensor (on the bell housing area).
Yep, Cam sensor is the puck looking deal under the rotor with some wires attached to it in the distributor, not that bugger you have to blindly wrestle on the transmission.

Quick Reply: Random stumble at idle