2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes plenum kit, cheap gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:17 PM
tssiTanker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hughes plenum kit, cheap gaskets?

I just received my plenum kit from Hughes yesterday. Everything looked fine except for the intake manifold gaskets. They just look really really cheap, and has CHINA stamped on it, and still has gasket material left around the spaces where it was punched out. (not clean cut). No indication marks for front and back of gasket. The front and rear seals are fine i guess, they look kinda funny to me. Raised up on the edges but dips down in the middle kinda like a river could run through them. Never dealt with a dodge engine before so im not sure.

I hate that I paid $134 for this kit and no better gasket than that. The felpro has the blue rtv stuff around each port on the gasket. Should I go ahead and buy a felpro gasket, even though its another $22. I was worried about the gasket that came with it sealing properly. Did any of yours look like mine do. Ill get pictures if needed.

Lastly. RTV or not rtv on plenum gasket. (Hughes says none for plenum). RTV on entire intake gasket?, coolant ports only?, or no rtv at all? Ill be using permatex right stuff.

Any help appreciated I really need it. Thanks

Old 05-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Regardless of what comes with anything, I always buy Felpro gaskets for the install... oh, and Remflex for headers.

With good gaskets, the only place RTV should be needed is a spot on each end of the rubber gasket front and back of the valley.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 PM
ReadRam
All Star

I went for the felpro set and got the plate separate on e-bay, but I'd spring for the felpro's in any case. And yes, a LITTLE rtv where the gaskets meet in the valley corners.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill bite. I used em, havent had any leaks in a year half since install.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:56 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Felpro + The Right Stuff=Win

Old 05-17-2014, 07:56 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
I went for the felpro set and got the plate separate on e-bay, but I'd spring for the felpro's in any case. And yes, a LITTLE rtv where the gaskets meet in the valley corners.

Is the aluminum plenum plate still available on eBay? I haven't seen them on eBay in quite some time. If so, does someone have a link as to where they can be found?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tssiTanker
I just received my plenum kit from Hughes yesterday. Everything looked fine except for the intake manifold gaskets. They just look really really cheap, and has CHINA stamped on it, and still has gasket material left around the spaces where it was punched out. (not clean cut). No indication marks for front and back of gasket. The front and rear seals are fine i guess, they look kinda funny to me. Raised up on the edges but dips down in the middle kinda like a river could run through them. Never dealt with a dodge engine before so im not sure.

I hate that I paid $134 for this kit and no better gasket than that. The felpro has the blue rtv stuff around each port on the gasket. Should I go ahead and buy a felpro gasket, even though its another $22. I was worried about the gasket that came with it sealing properly. Did any of yours look like mine do. Ill get pictures if needed.

Lastly. RTV or not rtv on plenum gasket. (Hughes says none for plenum). RTV on entire intake gasket?, coolant ports only?, or no rtv at all? Ill be using permatex right stuff.

Any help appreciated I really need it. Thanks

I know Hughes says no RTV or anything on the plenum gasket, but I used a very very thin layer of permatex on both sides of the new plenum gasket. I have read on other forums were the new plenum gasket blew out again not long after it was replaced. So I figured a little extra holding power with the added permatex was worth it.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You do see the plenum thread on top of the page right? This question is asked and answered numerous times in that thread also. Please read it, Thanks And no need to be looking at other websites, this is the best one if you want that magnum to work right

Last edited by zman17; 05-17-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 AM
tssiTanker
Rookie

Also the bottom of the aluminum plenum plate looks like it was dropped and slid across the floor. There are some pretty good scratches on the bottom of it and is goes all across. its on the edges too where the gasket goesaround. Was worried about that sealing. Probably gonna call Hughes and talk to them.

Gonna go pick up some felpro gaskets.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:25 AM
tssiTanker
Rookie

Originally Posted by zman17
You do see the plenum thread on top of the page right? This question is asked and answered numerous times in that thread also. Please read it, Thanks And no need to be looking at other websites, this is the best one if you want that magnum to work right
Ok, all i really read was the first page. I'll definitely be sure to look over it closer. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hughes plenum kit, cheap gaskets?