2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Off-Road Front Brakes and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:38 PM
fchsbulldog50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the cheap rotors and pads. Bought ceramic brakes for mine once and there was no difference at all. The reduced amount of brake dust is BS also. If you go to autozone or advanced most of the pads come with a "lifetime guarantee." If you bring them the pads the next time you need some, they will give you your next set for free as long as they are not to bare metal yet. I have done this so I know it works. I run the cheapest ones they have and install them in less than an hour no problem. So far lasting longer then the ceramics

Old 05-30-2014, 04:36 PM
SW_Steve

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
as far as im concerned a rotor is a rotor on these trucks. Others may think differently. I bought cheap 50 dollar a rotor. Not the cheapest but far from the most expensive.
Thanks again Ham Bone... I figured they just wanted to sell me the more expensive pads and rotors... I'm sure they make a bigger profit that way. Yeah, I don't want to get the cheapest either, but I really didn't think I need to buy Ultra Premium... It's a truck after all and I'm not hauling a trailer (although I have the hitch if I need to). So it is just normal wear and tear driving...

Old 05-30-2014, 04:50 PM
SW_Steve

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
Just get the cheap stuff. Not like your racing. And I'm pretty sure your suppose to replace both rotors at the same time.
Thanks snowboundrmk... Sounds like the consensus here - cheap is fine... And yeah, it's not a race car I'm driving... And I don't drive my truck like it is one... Yeah, I definitely want to replace both, if the rotors are worn down past the resurfacing point. Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:57 PM
SW_Steve

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not really a requirement... but, they both live in the same environment.... so if one goes bad, the other usually isn't far behind.

Rotors are rotors. No need to spend big dollars on slotted, crossdrilled, whathave you. Buy the best pads you can afford though. They DO make a difference.
Thanks HeyYou... I'll check the condition of the rotors before I purchase new ones... They maybe just fine... I'll let my buddy give me his expert opinion once we take a look at them and go from there. Yeah, I didn't want super cheap pads, but just didn't want to purchase top of the line one's unless it was necessary... I have ceramic pads right now and I don't see that they have lasted any longer than the other ones, so... Although it does seem to me like there is less dust...

Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 PM
SW_Steve

Originally Posted by fchsbulldog50
Get the cheap rotors and pads. Bought ceramic brakes for mine once and there was no difference at all. The reduced amount of brake dust is BS also. If you go to autozone or advanced most of the pads come with a "lifetime guarantee." If you bring them the pads the next time you need some, they will give you your next set for free as long as they are not to bare metal yet. I have done this so I know it works. I run the cheapest ones they have and install them in less than an hour no problem. So far lasting longer then the ceramics
Thanks fchsbulldog50.... I appreciate the info and I'll check out that lifetime guarantee... I've used AutoZone here in town before for other parts, so it would be easier for me on the brakes. It is good to know that I don't need those Ultra Premium pads and rotors... I figured it was the case I was getting the "up selling" from the repair shops, so glad to hear from everyone here that it isn't necessary to buy Ultra Premium.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't ask your buddies expert opinion. Just measure and see if they are within spec to resurface. If too thin, get new.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:18 PM
SW_Steve

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
GO TO ROCKAUTO.

Get the wagner brake pads, part number MX758. They are on wholesaler closeout right now for $17.80. These are some of the best pads you can buy. Rotors don't make one bit of difference on trucks...just get some of the $25 ones on there. So there ya go. Brakes and rotors for 70 bucks. Use the 5% discount code to save on shipping...
Thanks CSDavies26... Good info... I appreciate it.. I'll check them out. $70 bucks would be a whole lot better and with that kind of savings, I could afford to give my buddy some money for his help too.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 PM
SW_Steve

Originally Posted by sidewayzz
rockauto.com just put new rotor sand brakes on my truck last week. Easy job to do. Like others said use the code and save some change.
Thanks sidewayzz... I appreciate the help... I'll be checking out RockAuto and the others too... Good to have some options...

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Off-Road Front Brakes and Rotors