2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dashboard help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard help

Alright so we all know how our dashboards are, or all of 90% of us. I my radio and ac controls were falling out because of how bad the dash and bezel had to be taped on. I got a guy to get me a used one from Canada cause something with less sun and at a longe distance away from earth didn't kill all the factory dashes. Before I install it I wanna coat it with something that will ensure the uv rats don't crack it in the future cause I'm keeping this truck rest of my life. I'm fiberglassing the underside I think too.. Any suggestions?

Old 06-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

English and punctuation are your friend.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick google search suggests that windshields (because they're laminated glass) naturally block 99% or more of the UV rays. So I don't think it's the uv rays that are destroying the dashes. I think it's just heat + cheap plastic + trucks that rattle= broken dash.

If you're really concerned about the uv rays, maybe paint it with a uv protected paint? Or get a classy carpet cover for it.

There are also several companies that make a plastic cap for the top, but that won't address your bezel/controls problems.

Search ebay for dodge ram dash cap. Usually around 150.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM
topkin
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Armor All protectant spray/wipes maybe? The ones new from the mopar dealer would be a better route If you are concerned about it lasting the rest of your life. Or maybe just paint it with something

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some believe that Armor All makes the problem worse.

If the dash is falling apart to that extreme you're probably gonna have to do a full replacement at some point in time.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:06 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

If you plan to keep the truck, best to replace the upper dash cover with a new replacement. I picked up one late last year part #5EY72RC8 - delivered to my door for right at $200. Be careful when ordering one new, as shipping can sometimes be pretty high, since its such a large and awkward item to ship and typically draws oversize shipping charges.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
If you plan to keep the truck, best to replace the upper dash cover with a new replacement. I picked up one late last year part #5EY72RC8 - delivered to my door for right at $200. Be careful when ordering one new, as shipping can sometimes be pretty high, since its such a large and awkward item to ship and typically draws oversize shipping charges.
Direct from mopar? Is it a higher quality then the original dash? As far as you can tell?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Yes, this came from a Dodge dealer in Michigan. Quality was nice, but hard for me to really tell if it was any better than the original.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I know it's hard to tell just looking at it.

I've managed to piece mine back together with super glue for now. Again......

Other things to do before all that cosmetic stuff haha

Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

I understand. The new upper dash is still sitting in the box awaiting me to install it. Too many projects, not enough time.

Quick Reply: Dashboard help