2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck will not start - no sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014 | 07:28 PM
jarheaddoug
|
Default Truck will not start - no sound

My 2001 Ram 1500 will not turn over. No noise. All dash lights come on per normal & stereo works. No check engine light. It started a few times randomly a few weeks ago and ran fine when started.

Things I've tried/done:
  • Searched/read tons of forum entries
  • Tested battery (volt meter, lights on, attempted to jump, etc.)
  • Checked battery cables (tight, no corrosion)
  • Replaced starter (had the old one tested... was told it was bad)
  • Replaced ignition switch
  • Checked fuses
  • Swapped relays (to test starter relay)

I am clueless.

I was asked when purchasing the ignition switch if I also needed the ignition lock cylinder. Should I replace that was well? My old one fit perfectly and was in one piece.

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2014 | 07:58 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

pop your fuse box and check the connections there. Should be one from the battery, and the wire that goes down to the starter.

Gota multimeter? trace your power to the starter. Should have 14v at the battery. ANd 14v on the top post of the starter. It should be hot all the time.

Check all your grounds. One on the driver side fender. One below the battery on the frame, the alternator, and theres on on the engine block where the water pump bypass is. the metal pipe coming out of the water pump.

Clean all your connections and grounds. Sand paper the surfaces if needed. Get a goood shiny connection.

i had your exact problem for a while. I would almost guarantee its a grounding issue. Mine was actually in the fuse box. Had a bad crimp on the starter lead. Re did that and everything is great now

Quick Reply: Truck will not start - no sound