2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:24 PM
bigred95
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans mount replacement

Anyone know how to do the trans mount? Does the transmission need to be held up with a jack? And does the cross member under it need to come out to get the mount out? Thanks

Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to support the transmission, then unbolt the trans mount or cross member, or what ever is needed to get to the trans mount.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:35 PM
bigred95
Veteran

Just got it done, I was just looking at it in the most difficult way to take it off. When I realized how to do it so far that's been the easiest repair, thanks for the reply

Old 06-27-2014, 10:44 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Originally Posted by bigred95
Just got it done, I was just looking at it in the most difficult way to take it off. When I realized how to do it so far that's been the easiest repair, thanks for the reply
which was? please explain. did you have to drop or remove the cross member at all? I'm getting ready to do the mount, extension housing seal and u joints this weekend.

about how long did it take you?

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Place rear end on jack stands as high as possible to reduce fluid loss, But at a safe height..

Remove the drive shaft, if you are changing out the u joints.. Now is a good time, along with the output seal.

Unbolt the (2) 15mm nuts on the bottom of the cross member.

Unbolt the (2) 13mm bolts on the transmission mount (top plate of rubber mount)

Unbolt the (3) 16mm bolts holding the plate on the bottom of the transmission.

Place jack under the tail shaft (I used the factory jack on mine).

Remove all the bolts/nuts you loosened and raise the trans up enough to slide out the rubber mount and plate separately. you will have to wiggle the exhaust hanger out of the bushing/3-bolt trans plate.

install the new mount to the 3-bolt plate, shimmy it in place as one piece. the rest is reverse of removal.

my trans mount was in two pieces when I lifted the trans up. the metal mount plate was totally separated from the rubber mount. The truck is now free from all vibrations and other issues that was pointing toward my trans.

Quick Reply: trans mount replacement