2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PS Pump Going?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 PM
gatorheel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS Pump Going?

Recently I've noticed that my truck is somewhat harder to steer. Not like a completely dead PS pump where you have to muscle the wheel to get anything-- just somewhat harder. I also think that braking is slightly harder too which makes me think its the PS pump.

I pulled off the reservoir cap and fluid was on the low side, so I topped it off but didn't do the jack/bleed process since I added so little. I left the cap off, started the engine, and I saw little to no movement in the fluid-- pretty sure I read that I should see some, but I can find the thread again.

Any advice? Should I just go ahead and swap the pump? I'm going to try to trace all of the lines tonight after work to see if there's a pinch.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Do you have vacuum boost for your brakes? Or is it hydra-boost? (I didn't think anything got hydra-boost, 'cept the diesels.....)

Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 PM
gatorheel
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you have vacuum boost for your brakes? Or is it hydra-boost? (I didn't think anything got hydra-boost, 'cept the diesels.....)
You're right, it is vacuum so the brakes thing is a red herring. Not sure why I thought it was hydraulic. This isn't a daily driver, so I'm probably just getting confused with the force needed on my wife's car which I drive 90% of the time (and even then only a few times a week).

Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

I recommend simply doing a fluid flush with new fluid. Should make a difference if your fluid is old and dark.

Quick Reply: PS Pump Going?