2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple of motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:11 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of motor questions

Its my friends truck and its a 98 ram 1500 with a 5.2l auto 4x4.
After pulling a heavy trailer through mountains the truck developed a really bad oil leak out of the back of the motor. Last Saturday I noticed the valve covers were really loose (about to fall off) so I tightened them down but it's still leaking badly.
Is it possible for head gaskets to leak oil but not antifreeze?
I checked the intake and it looks like fuel and carbon pooling up not oil.

And the motor has a miss in it and code p1391. I'm not sure what it is but when I looked it up I got many different answers.

Any ideas?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:38 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
Its my friends truck and its a 98 ram 1500 with a 5.2l auto 4x4.
After pulling a heavy trailer through mountains the truck developed a really bad oil leak out of the back of the motor. Last Saturday I noticed the valve covers were really loose (about to fall off) so I tightened them down but it's still leaking badly.
Is it possible for head gaskets to leak oil but not antifreeze?
I checked the intake and it looks like fuel and carbon pooling up not oil.

And the motor has a miss in it and code p1391. I'm not sure what it is but when I looked it up I got many different answers.

Any ideas?
Is the oil leaking from the valve covers? It could be a number of things....you VC gaskets are shot, replace, your intake manifold gasket is leaking in the back, replace, or your rear main seal is leaking. Not sure how fuel can build up in the intake on an injected engine...don't know what to tell you about your code but someone will chime in with that.

on another note, judging by your profile pic (great show) you'll understand this then... "131 proof bud straight up, I'm f****** wasted."

Old 06-16-2014, 03:09 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Not sure where exactly it's coming from. The one thing I hate about these trucks is that the motor is recessed back making it difficult to see behind the motor. I'm gonna do the valve cover gaskets tonight after work maybe I'll just take care of the plenum too. The furd looked lighter than fresh oil which is why I assumed it was fuel.

"I am the liquor"

Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 PM
horatio102
Champion

I've replaced a few oil pressure senders for people who came in thinking their rear main seals were leaking on mopars.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:05 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

When I had my 93 dakota I blew the oil pressure sensor apart on my way to work but even then it didn't spray oil out that fast. It does really only leak if it's under load though. It can idle in the drive or even be revved up and not leak but as soon as it's in gear and the pedal is being pressed it'll leak.

And since a bad storm couldn't wait till tomorrow I won't be able to pull the vc tonight

And the oil pressure gauge shows just under 40 when the truck is running but once the oil gets low it moves with the grades and the g forces

Quick Reply: Couple of motor questions