2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball Joint Boots + Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Undetektid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RDuck,

Thanks for the cheery reply, compadre. Just because I don't want to do something doesn't mean I won't. I ask questions to better understand the situation so I can decide the best course of action. So until I feel I understand things, I'll keep asking questions, thank you.

js305,

Thanks for your thoughts regarding the crosslink - I'll check that out.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Originally Posted by Undetektid
Doesn't changing the joint require drilling out the rivets on the A-Arms? Does a boot replacement require doing that too? Honestly, removing the rivets is what I would like to avoid for the time being.

don't bother changing the boot just leave it until the joint has play then change the ball joint. there no point in changing the boot. there is no way to put grease back in the joint so the boot wont help much. the rivets can be drilled out, torched out, chiseled off or ground off.

p.s. don't mind R DUCK he thinks his word is gospel and everyone should listen to him.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by h3lzsn1p3r
don't bother changing the boot just leave it until the joint has play then change the ball joint. there no point in changing the boot. there is no way to put grease back in the joint so the boot wont help much. the rivets can be drilled out, torched out, chiseled off or ground off.

p.s. don't mind R DUCK he thinks his word is gospel and everyone should listen to him.
Lol. No. I dont. I just dont like stupid.
If your going to take the time to take a ball joint apart to change the boot (and you have to buy a ball joint to get a boot) why be so lazy as to not just finish the job and replace the damn joint.

Has nothing to do with my word.
Has everything to do with you not being lazy.
You have the joint. You have it apart. Change it. Simple.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:51 AM
RDuck
Captain

And Hazel, dont be a jackass.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Undetektid

Originally Posted by RDuck
Lol. No. I dont. I just dont like stupid.
If your going to take the time to take a ball joint apart to change the boot (and you have to buy a ball joint to get a boot) why be so lazy as to not just finish the job and replace the damn joint.

Has nothing to do with my word.
Has everything to do with you not being lazy.
You have the joint. You have it apart. Change it. Simple.
Thanks for finally answering my question.

It's got nothing to do with laziness. Or your perceived level of "laziness". My time is valuable, and I don't have much of it to spend on vehicles. The joint is tight with no play or slop. The boot is cracked. If I can change the boot in half the time and for half the money, all is good. The problem is fixed and I didn't bother wasting my effort on something that wasn't broken. That's called an efficient use of time and money. Now, I can't buy just a boot so that changes the equation.

Before lashing out when you *think* someone is being lazy or stupid, maybe stop and consider how they are approaching the problem. It could be different from yours, but still valid. There's more than one way to skin a cat lol

Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 PM
RDuck
Captain

Best option is go to a wrecker where they may have a truck torn apart and get a good boot free. They can't rightfully sell a used ball joint anyways so a loose boot is worthless.
Then you can spend your two hours replacing the boot.
Or spend $65 (or whatever a new joint costs) and spend 2 1/2 hrs putting a new joint in.
I've replaced a crown nut when an inspection said I needed a new ball joint.
New nut and cotter pin and voila. Reinspection passed. All of five minutes.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Boots + Noise