2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 AM
giulietti07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

Okay so my 98 ram 2500 5.9 v8 is leaking oil. I think its the valve cover but just want some 2nd opinions. Okay so the oil on the oil pan front and bottom of bell housing. Its also getting on front drive shaft causing it to get tossed everywhere. The oil pan gasket and rear main seal were replaced a couple months back. Which is why I believed it would be the vavle covers. Also it doesn't seem to leak while just idling only time I see it dripping is after ive driven it.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it can be a number of things. VC's, oil pressure sending unit, intake manifold etc. you'll just need to clean it up and try to figure out where its origin is from. Check behind the dust plate on your tranny...if there's oil on the backside of that, you might want to take it back to where you had the rear main done and make them fix it, that's generally a sign of rear main seal leaking.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I had a little oil loss dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing... it was the back valley gasket from when the plenum was done the first time... if not careful, the gasket will move when you place the keg, and then not seal properly, eventually leading to a leak.

Quick Reply: Oil leak