2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1389

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:34 PM
jayz55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1389

Two days ago my amp gauge went low, my battery died. My battery was good, so I got a tow to my buddy's house so I can work on it. I bought an alternator yesterday and put it in. The truck wouldn't start. Before this, I had been gettin a check engine light for the o2 sensor, I think its was p0420 something like that. It was the front bank. So I bought that this morning thinkin it would fix the problem. I installed it and the truck still wouldnt start, check engine light on. Read the code and p1389 popped up.. I read someones post n it said switch the asd relay in the fuse box with the wiper relay. I did that, cleared the code n still nothing.. The truck will start, with starting fluid, n it will run with some gas. But the truck WONT IDLE.. idk what to try next, PLEASE HELP=(

Old 06-21-2014, 04:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

If you step into the gas pedal a bit, will it start and run? May need to clean the throttle body, and let the PCM re-learn idle.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 PM
jayz55

Yepp.. and if I put it in gear while its revving and drive it a lil, if will idle by itself. But the check engine light stayed on and once I shut it off, it wont restart without the help of starting fluid again

Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What codes are you getting?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:05 PM
jayz55
Default P1389- ASD= Fried PCM

So, I finally gave in and brought the truck to a shop. They called me n said the pcm harness had melted and its fried. They seem to think that when the alternator went, it spiked n sent a surge that melted it.. I dont know if that is possible, all I know is I dont want to buy a new pcm and have it melt again.. I got a new harness from the junkyard, but they didnt have any matching pcm's for my truck. It is 111AE.. does anyone know where to get the best deal on an already programmed n flashed pcm? Ive found a few places online for around $250, but I also want some insight from anyone thats been in this position...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's about standard price. Get one from a local parts store. (if the price is right in that neighborhood), that way, if there is an issue, you can talk to someone face to face, not over the phone....

Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 AM
jayz55
Default I have the pcm being shipped to me

I wish there was a way to attach a pic to the post, cuz I took a picture of the harness that plugs into the pcm.. its the one on the side with the two mounting bolts, not one. Its black n grey.. its melted a lil bit, and one or two of the pins are broken inside.. whats my best way to fix this? I can go to the junkyard and find a new harness, but theres about thirty wires and they have pins attached.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Host pics someplace like Photobucket, or Imageshack. Then you can use the image tags to have the pics show up in your post. Space for hosting pics here on the site is extremely limited.

There is a neat little tool for removing the wires (with the ends still on them) from the connectors. Not sure if the parts stores would have 'em, but, seems like a reasonable proposition, might give 'em a call, and ask.... If you can get one, then just change that connector. Pic one up at a yard, and then just do ONE wire at a time...... Tedious, but doable.

Quick Reply: P1389