2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 1500 2wd 5.9L died at stop won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 PM
JKresge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 1500 2wd 5.9L died at stop won't start

Truck has roughly 170K on it. Was running ok up until this point. Had a weird sputter here and there on the highway in the last 3-4 weeks but only occasionally.

Last Thursday I pulled up to a stop sign and it started sputtering and coughing. Sort of like it ran out of gas. Then it just died. Tried to start it back up and it just cranked, no fire. So I pushed it off the road and hiked back home.

Later that evening I went back to try to get it running.

-No check engine lights
-over 1/4 tank of gas

Things I've tested or changed so far.

- Fuel Pressure 45psi
- Replaced Coil, Crank pos Sensor, Dist Cap, Rotor, Distributor pick-up
- Coil is getting 12V and ground signal from PCM
- no spark at coil
- plugs are not wet with fuel even after long durations of cranking

I checked the codes the following morning and it came up P0351

I have a strong feeling that the PCM took a crap.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Code implies that the PCM isn't seeing voltage at the coil. Should see power at the coil for about 3 seconds after turning the key to on, after that, PCM needs to see the engine turning before it will turn the ASD relay back on.

If you are actually seeing the PCM attempting to fire the coil, but are still not getting spark, replace the coil. Doesn't matter how old it is.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 PM
JKresge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Code implies that the PCM isn't seeing voltage at the coil. Should see power at the coil for about 3 seconds after turning the key to on, after that, PCM needs to see the engine turning before it will turn the ASD relay back on.

If you are actually seeing the PCM attempting to fire the coil, but are still not getting spark, replace the coil. Doesn't matter how old it is.
Here is the page I used to check the coil.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...gnition-coil-3

When I probed the specified wire and cranked the engine I got 12V.
When I probed the other wire and connected the test light to the + bat terminal the light flickered.

I guess the new coil I got could be bad but shouldn't the plugs be soaked in gas if the injectors are pulsing?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

May be enough of a breeze blowing thru there to keep them relatively dry. You could try squirting some starting fluid in to verify, but, if you already know there is no spark, it's a pointless test.

Are you getting injector pulse? (you can test that with your test light as well. just test across the terminals in one of your injector connectors.)

Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

I know you are getting the fault code but I had almost the same thing happen to be 3 years ago. It turned out to be a clogged catalytic converter. Try removing the upstream o2 sensor and see if it will run now.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 AM
JKresge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
May be enough of a breeze blowing thru there to keep them relatively dry. You could try squirting some starting fluid in to verify, but, if you already know there is no spark, it's a pointless test.

Are you getting injector pulse? (you can test that with your test light as well. just test across the terminals in one of your injector connectors.)
I was wondering if I could test them like that. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
I know you are getting the fault code but I had almost the same thing happen to be 3 years ago. It turned out to be a clogged catalytic converter. Try removing the upstream o2 sensor and see if it will run now.
I thought about that and I'm probably going to replace or gut my cat eventually but the lack of spark ruled that out in my mind.

I will try taking out the O2 sensor just for giggles though.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 AM
JKresge

Want to say thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I decided it was best just to push it off a cliff and let nature take its course...

Just kidding. It was the PCM, got a reman unit from SoloPCMS.com yesterday and it fired right up.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions, I wish one of them would have worked because they were much cheaper things than this.

Quick Reply: 01 1500 2wd 5.9L died at stop won't start