2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Cooler ?.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:41 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering Cooler ?.

I have a Borgeson steering box and steering shaft for my truck (not installed yet), and I was under my truck checking things out to see if this is something I could change out my self. I noticed there is a power steering cooler mounted to the lower radiator support below the fan shroud. The way the power steering cooler is mounted, it gets no air flow over it, or very little.

Does the power steering fluid get real hot under normal driving conditions ?, would it be a good idea to relocate the power steering cooler to a better spot were it get better air flow ?, or would it be a good idea to replace it with something better than the factory cooler ?.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

P/S cooler is part of the various "heavy duty" packages available on these trucks. (towing, plow, etc.) If you do a lot of low speed maneuvering, it is actually nice to have. I haven't actually paid attention to temps, but, mine seems to be more than adequate to the task at hand. flushing it out good before installing the new box wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooler ?.