2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vaccum Hose Severed - Can't Find the Other End

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM
chrisedoeseurope
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaccum Hose Severed - Can't Find the Other End

I had a wild vents issue that I was trying to fix based on the info I found in some of the other threads on the forum. When I tried to pull one of the check valves out, I broke one of the vacuum hoses.

If you look at the following post, the fourth picture is the junction I'm referencing. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1545520-post10.html

The hose to the left goes off to a vacuum reservoir and the hose to the right comes from the intake manifold. My question is where does the thin gauge wire actually go to? I've read it goes to the cruise control, but I don't have cruise. The wire looks like it was sheared off, but I can't find a piece of it sticking out of the firewall near the AC or the heater.

Before I broke it, my vents would switch over to defrost when engine vacuum dropped. Now, it won't move from defrost.

Anyone have hints about where I could find that vacuum hose without having to take the whole heater out of the cab? Do I even need that wire?

Stumped and not confident that I'll be able to pull my cab apart and put it back together properly.

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

The line that goes to inside goes through the same hole as the A/C lines, and chaffs off on the firewall, so if you don't see the end of it between the firewall and the foam seal, it has fallen inside... this is where you cry because you now have to pull the dash to retrieve it.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 PM
chrisedoeseurope
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, thanks for that Spillage. Fortunately, I've got what you'd call an open air dash. My dash has cracked to pieces, so I can see all the wires. I'll give it another look tomorrow. Spent a couple hours looking high and low for it yesterday with no success.

Where in the cab does it terminate? I know the one that goes to the vacuum reservoir in the cowl ends up on the back of the heat/ac control panel in the dash, but I'm worried this one attaches to something behind the heater core. If that's the case, I'm really going to be in tears.

Might just be one of those projects...

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

The line to the reservoir should go under the cowl behind the hood seal... that is it for that line.

The one going inside with the A/C goes to the vent selector, then to the mixer/blender door actuator.
Black is incoming to the selector, and the rainbow is from the selector to the actuators (as I understand it, as I did not have to get back there and retrieve my line).

Quick Reply: Vaccum Hose Severed - Can't Find the Other End