2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will from the NW, 99 Ram 1500 misfire issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:43 AM
i450Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will from the NW, 99 Ram 1500 misfire issue.

Hey everyone, How's it going. Me not to good. Was driving home from camping last week, and my truck stated acting up. Seemed to lack power and making a weird whooshing sound. Basically I barely made it home. Truck did not over heat, and there is no oil in coolant. I did a complete tune up, replaced coil, wires, plugs, cap and rotor. To my disappointment, no go. Any help would be great!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

What year truck?

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Default Does the whooshing sound like air rushing through the air box?

Originally Posted by i450Rider
Hey everyone, How's it going. Me not to good. Was driving home from camping last week, and my truck stated acting up. Seemed to lack power and making a weird whooshing sound. Basically I barely made it home. Truck did not over heat, and there is no oil in coolant. I did a complete tune up, replaced coil, wires, plugs, cap and rotor. To my disappointment, no go. Any help would be great!
I'm having a similar issue (maybe not as severe), and I'm thinking maybe my catalytic converter is partially clogged and is creating back pressure. I, too, have fairly new ignition components, new plenum and manifold gaskets, a clean air filter, a new PCV valve and grommet, and I measure 18-20 in. Hg at idle. Everything seems to check out. However, I know I had a bad plenum gasket for a while before I fixed it, based on the condition of my intake when I removed it, so I have a feeling my cat is clogged. Might be your issue, too?

Let me know if you figure out your problem. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 PM
djbucky3
Captain

From the many times I have heard HeyYou say it, sounds like a clogged cat to me. I believe (and before you do anything, wait for HeyYou to reply) that there is an o2 sensor to unplug before the cat. If it runs fine with the sensor unplugged then the cat is the issue. Am I correct HeyYou?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

If it runs better with the front O2 removed, that does point to a clogged cat.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:46 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by Spillage
If it runs better with the front O2 removed, that does point to a clogged cat.
Thank you for the confirmation! P.s. spillage, we got the same truck :P (not the same upgrades but same stock)

Quick Reply: Will from the NW, 99 Ram 1500 misfire issue.