2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

work re-begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:34 AM
torhne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default work re-begins

ugh, 2 years of hell, so much crap happened, lost my license because i drove while suspended, couldnt pay fines or insurance, itj ust screwed me so bad, so im down to the last few months without it, but now the work re-begins on the truck. I am so bummed about it, I was in the middle of redoing EVERYTHING. i had a lifter ticking i thought, so i tore it all down, replaced all of my lifters, and tried to restart the build.

I think i am screwed, i got the plenum fixed, but i am missing some bolts, thermostat housing is gone, the 180 degree thermostat is gone, i was in the middle of replacing the fans on the front, i finally got the efans mounted up and half way wired today, so thats an advancement.

ANYWAYS sorry for the half *** rambling. do you guys think i should tear it all back down to where i was, recheck all of the lifters and everything inside, and see if any debris and crap got in there? im nervous about the work i did with the rockers and stuff on side, the valve covers are back on, but im just not sure.

and then my transmission.

UGH.
have a rebuild kit i bought from mopar for 230 bucks a year ago and never got to putting it in...

any words of wisdom or advice?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

If you are nervous about it, tear it back down. Be SURE of what you have.

I think most of the parts you are missing are easily available from your local parts store.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
torhne

ok so my timing chain is WAY off. i have a haynes manual, i cant find tdc, im about to give up and send her to the scrap yard i pulled water pump off, timing chain cover, all that fun stuff, so as long as i just line them up, cam gear down and crank up, lined up perfect it will work right? is there anything else i should look at while have valve covers off as well?

Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 PM
torhne

i cant get the gears to align. every time i turn it over to where its TDC on piston 1 and the valves are open, the alignment mark on the top of the timing chain is like 1/4 turn past where its straight up and down. i dont get it

Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about TDC, just line up the marks with 12 and 6, off with the old and on with the new.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:09 PM
torhne

what if the engine was moved? i left it at my parents house and they had moved it and a lot of crazy stuff happened, how do i make sure its lined up again to make sure?

Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tdc should be valves closed.

Well tdc on the compression stroke. Which is what most people mean by Tdc.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:17 PM
torhne

perfect! thank you so much. at least this is one step closer. and then burned up tranny is next. this truck is killing me slowly

Old 07-26-2014, 09:54 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by torhne
perfect! thank you so much. at least this is one step closer. and then burned up tranny is next. this truck is killing me slowly
When you install the timing set correctly you will be at TDC on compression stroke for number 6 cytlinder not #1.
You will have to turn engine another 360 degrees to get TDC #1.
but you only need to worry about being at TDC on #1 if you pulled the distributor, if you didn't then put crank mark at 12 o'clock and cam at 6 o'clock and you'll be golden.

Dave

Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 AM
torhne

i dont think i double posted, try this again.
so i had new cap and rotor and all that fun stuff, but i dont think i moved the engine when i put it on, just pulled old one out , and put new one in, sooooo i think im good. now im about ot start a new job and wont have time to screw with it for a few weeks again. ugh

Quick Reply: work re-begins