2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck running rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_dodgeram1500_5.2
What are they talking about changing the VIN? Thats weird how just changing the VIN would do anything. But I have been reading that it could be the computer not set to my truck which would effect shifting, which I have to sometimes let off the gas for it to change to 4th (since computer change), I guess misfiring maybe because it slips around 55mph and if I'm at a consistent speed the slipping will continue untill I let off the gas or speed up, dodge told me it was $95 for them to change my VIN. I just don't have $95 to pay them and it not even fix it. I have no clue but I need my truck fixed
Your PCM doesn't care about the vin. It's programming is fixed. Even the dealership cannot alter the programming, short of installing a different PCM. Whoever you talked to was somewhat confused. (probably thought you had a 96 or newer truck.)

If you are still having issues with how the truck runs/drives, it *May* be a bad computer, or, you may have other issues hiding somewhere. The 'not wanting to shift' is probably a lazy solenoid, or, a poor connection somewhere. (governor on your truck is purely mechanical, so, no sensor to change.)

Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
95_dodgeram1500_5.2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Your PCM doesn't care about the vin. It's programming is fixed. Even the dealership cannot alter the programming, short of installing a different PCM. Whoever you talked to was somewhat confused. (probably thought you had a 96 or newer truck.)

If you are still having issues with how the truck runs/drives, it *May* be a bad computer, or, you may have other issues hiding somewhere. The 'not wanting to shift' is probably a lazy solenoid, or, a poor connection somewhere. (governor on your truck is purely mechanical, so, no sensor to change.)
A bad computer, so if its bad the truck will still run?

Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Computers have more failure modes than I care to count. But, it can only do what its sensors are telling it to do. If one sensor is screwing up, the whole system can fall apart. So, trick is, pick an issue, troubleshoot it, solve it, move on to the next. (as, there will always be a 'next' with an older truck....) Keep going till something breaks that you really don't care about. Then you can stop.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:10 PM
95_dodgeram1500_5.2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it in the shop today at 9am had it back at 3pm, it was my tps causing the problem, it was cracked. While I had it in there I supplied the gas line going to the fuel rail, the cts, & transmission pan gasket & filter and had all that changed, my torque converter is cracked so its still leaking some trans fluid but its better then 3-4 qts a week. Thanks everybody for the help.

Quick Reply: Truck running rough