2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newby 46re help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 PM
JenericMia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby 46re help

Hey Everyone, new to the forums. Well the transmission finally went out in the 98 ram 2wd with a 5.9.

No idea whats wrong with it and haven't pulled it, but just found an awesome deal for an '01-02 46re.

Looks like they have different plugs, I've searched and search. Anyone have a link to a thread that's done this conversion OR more trouble then its worth?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Need to change the electronics in the trans, and also a couple little parts for the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid. You can cop all the little parts you need from the old trans, and transfer them to the new trans. Get all new solenoids and such though. Around 200 for all four from Ebay. Go with the Borg Warner heavy duty governor solenoid. It avoids some of the issues of the stock units.

Welcome to DF!

You can also download the service manuals from this thread.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:00 AM
JenericMia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice and links. Has anyone posted a good do it yourself yet?

I've watched the videos and it seems pretty straight forward to rebuild one of these things. I'm definitely a novice mechanic, and transmissions always gave me the heebie jeebies.

Wish me luck, glad to be apart of the forum!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

yeah, transmissions are roughly akin to black magic. I *think* there is a write up in the FAQ section here.... but, not 100% on that.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rebuilt my 44RE and a family members 46RE in my garage last summer. It's not really as hard as everyone makes it out to be. If you take the time to read and understand the ATSG manual, keep a clean work area and not be in a super big hurry i think you would be fine doing it yourself. Just my

Quick Reply: Newby 46re help