2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 5.9 so slow help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:00 PM
niceandeasy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 5.9 so slow help

2001 5.9 ram sport 4x4. I had the truck for years but it never had not pick up and go. I have did upgrades but nothing showing more power. You push it to the floor it down shifts and slowly gets faster you can't even get pushed back in your seat. Upgrades and stuff I just done. Full turn up with wires copper plugs and cap and rotor, flow master, no cat, kegger mod, TB mod, k&n drop in filter, fuel pump and filter. I'm running 285s.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:04 PM
SilverSS
Captain

The 285's aren't helping. Always had that size tire? What gears?

Old 10-04-2014, 12:15 PM
niceandeasy
Professional

I had the tires put on when I bought the truck over 5 years ago. I don't drive it much. I guessing what ever gears I have is stock. It was always taken to the dealership to get worked on till I got it.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:24 PM
niceandeasy
Professional

3.55/3.92 is what it says online

Old 10-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Lil blee
Rookie
Default Mine to

I have done quite a few things to mine, I'm running 285's as well. First change your diff fluids. Use royal purple. It's expensive but as soon as you put it in you'll know why it's expensive. Next change all your sensors. That helped a great deal. These sensors even though they work can just get old dirty and worn out, that also helped a bunch. I'm talking everything from O2 to map sensors, to toe sensors. Make sure your cats aren't clogged. They may be just clogged a little but it will make a difference to go ahead and replace them if they are old. And get your transmission tuned. Get new fluids, filters and band adjustments. Also I did the sea foam treatment which really gave me a lot of power back. I'm not sure exactly what it did and what it fixed but it sure as hell did something significant. And get you a programmer of some kind. There are ones that they talk about on here and others. Even a cheapy will kill the deathcode. The dealer created some programming I. The computer that neutralized the fact that our plenum gaskets leaked. That called the death flash. Really robbed a good bit of power. Due to this any way you can kill the death flash will wake your truck up a little bit. These are the things I did and have been successful. Mine has 219,000 miles on it and runs great, my check engine light has been on 1 time for a sensor in the Fran's at about 50,000 miles. Do these things and you'll fall in love with it.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:04 PM
niceandeasy
Professional

I just want more merging power

Old 10-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell it and Buy a car. You're driving a almost 3 ton brick.

Best bang for your buck? 4.10 gear swap. Then you might be able to bark the tires. I know I can

You have an 01 so you got the death flash. could buy a tuner.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:43 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Yes gears and tuner should wake her up quite a bit. I picked up 1mpg with a tuner also. I had 33x12.50's on my truck for a while and with the 3.55 gears it was a lot slower. After I bought a boat I put the stock wheels and tires back on it and it feels like a rocket compared to before.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:01 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i swapped out my old tired 5.2 for a top end built 5.9 that i built myself... fun little motor. youd be surprised how much power you can gain from a cam!

Old 10-05-2014, 03:18 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Smaller tires will make a big difference in get up and go, not to mention better gas mileage.

Quick Reply: 01 5.9 so slow help