2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cam install not good, some advise please

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoa buddy!! Bright light! bright light!! (I hope you get that reference lol)

Looks great!

If I ever come up to your PNW or you come down here, then we race!!

I request that perhaps you list your P/n and specs etc. for the rockers, headers, tranny doodad stuff in the OP or in a post (link in OP to that post).

You are so close to being there. Stay sharp!

ps. the tranny sensor is wireless????

Old 11-13-2014, 02:02 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Whoa buddy!! Bright light! bright light!! (I hope you get that reference lol)

Looks great!

If I ever come up to your PNW or you come down here, then we race!!

I request that perhaps you list your P/n and specs etc. for the rockers, headers, tranny doodad stuff in the OP or in a post (link in OP to that post).

You are so close to being there. Stay sharp!

ps. the tranny sensor is wireless????
That'd be sweet to race another 2nd gen ram. I do plan some pulls on the dyno after a bit of tuning via Hemifever. Hope to see a little bump in power and better fuel economy. HAHAHA!

Sure I can update the first post with parts and cost... soon

I didn't mess with any trans sensors. I removed the trans cooler stat so it's free flowing, then I added an inline trans stat to prevent the trans fluid from entering the cooler when not needed. After seeing how clean the stock stat is I don't think this was necessary, doubt there's any benefit to it. Had heard the stock stat tends to clog and over heat the trans that's why I changed it, but mine was clean.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:58 AM
beeker
Captain

Finished modifying the valve covers to fit the adjustable rockers, it was a lot of work. Installed pushrods, rockers and intake today. I kept the fuel rail and throttle body on the intake when it was removed so that saved a lot of time. Should have it done tomorrow, really excited for that!

Name:  20141115_161613_zpstx535vk7.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  20141115_181318_zpswves5fjh.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  20141115_220311_zpsmoxhlbtf.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  86.8 KB

Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Looking sharp...

Old 11-17-2014, 02:24 AM
beeker
Captain

Finished the build today, at first start up there was a lot of ticking but it quieted down after a few minutes. Thinking it's the new valves wearing into the seats. Let it idle for 30 minutes and then changed the oil. Took it for a spin, babied it the whole way but it feels super strong as in much more torque than before. I'm gonna drive it nice for a couple weeks before I really stomp on it.

Here ya go I shot a little walk around vid
VIDEO HERE

Last edited by beeker; 11-17-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yah buddy!! Congrats!! I'm sure you're listening for everything and anything. I didn't like that phase after my camshaft swap and such. lol

Nice job on the valve cover mod. I think that is slick to retain the factory look aside from the intake manifold and (bright light bright light) colors. <-- You not get that movie reference? It's so fitting as I get the impression you started the truck up after midnight... lol

So what are you going to do about the 3.55 gear ratio....?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:37 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice looking motor!

Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM
beeker
Captain

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Yah buddy!! Congrats!! I'm sure you're listening for everything and anything. I didn't like that phase after my camshaft swap and such. lol

Nice job on the valve cover mod. I think that is slick to retain the factory look aside from the intake manifold and (bright light bright light) colors. <-- You not get that movie reference? It's so fitting as I get the impression you started the truck up after midnight... lol

So what are you going to do about the 3.55 gear ratio....?
LOL I get you, it's from Gremlins. Bright light kills the little monsters.

I like the bright aluminum cause it's easier to see leaks. hope the Duplicolor engine clear coat don't yellow cause I heard it does after I already painted it. The can says 550* but I seen where the reps said it actually yellows at 300* The paint should also help keep it clean, fills in the pits of the rough casting.

I like the stock valve covers too, not a fan of the over height ones. That was some serious work trying to smooth out all the burs after drilling em, needed four hands.

I plan to keep the 3.55 gears for towing, when not in OD at highway speed the motor is in the power zone. New gears would be fun but towing without over revving the motor for long hauls or having to drive slower on the highway better fits my needs.

Last edited by beeker; 11-20-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 PM
beeker
Captain

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Nice looking motor!
Thanks, I really took a lotta lotta lotta extra time to degrease, detail, paint and clear coat every single part. It was ridiculous and tedious but I think it was worth it. This build took me 4 to 5 months! Not the time frame I expected. And it's getting cold out so I'm glad it's done.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! So you going to make a video so we can hear the new cam?

Quick Reply: Cam install not good, some advise please