2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE bouncing between gears on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 PM
apensity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE bouncing between gears on acceleration

I've replaced the fluid and filter 3x due to adjusting the bands, but I have the same problem with this tranny (always had the issue since I bought it last year). two scenarios...
1. WHen I floor it, it will rev up, shift to 2nd, then 3rd, then slip back to second and rev up really high, then back to 3rd and back to 2nd.
2. WHen getting onto freeway, it will shift into 2nd, 3rd, then 4th, then back to third, then 4th, then drop into LOWWW rpm (almost chugging) OD. SOmetimes it won't shift out of 4th unless I let up greatly on the accelerator then it will shift in low rpm OD.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 10-20-2014, 03:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid with the heavy duty set from electrical advantage on Ebay. Should clear up most of your problems.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 PM
topkin
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid with the heavy duty set from electrical advantage on Ebay. Should clear up most of your problems.
Whats the differance between the Electrical Advantage set and a Mopar set? I am reparing this on my truck this weekend as well.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 AM
apensity

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I'll do that. But the question I have is that what if there were no codes thrown for it? I have a couple of codes relating to evap leaks, but nothing re: the GPS or solenoid. Could it still be the problem?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:38 AM
apensity

Originally Posted by topkin
Whats the differance between the Electrical Advantage set and a Mopar set? I am reparing this on my truck this weekend as well.
Looks like the EA version is larger and is able to run cooler for modded or hi-perf applications. I take it as just "heavy duty". From listing info...
"This solenoid will not flood out at increased line pressures and can be used in modified , and performance models.
It delivers reliability and stable pressures.
This solenoid is almost twice as large as the Oem design.
It runs completely cool , while the Oem often runs very very hot.
Additionally more magnet force , spool valve force , and 15% more flow capacity."

Old 10-22-2014, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

The heavy duty unit fixes a number of issues with the stock system. Other alternative was changing it over the a GM style system, but, that's even more expensive than the heavy duty parts. This really is the best alternative. Solves the issues, and doesn't require modification of the trans. (like the GM system would.)

Quick Reply: 46RE bouncing between gears on acceleration