2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips vs. Hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superchips vs. Hypertech

I have been doing some research on a programmer for my truck and have come across many different opions about which is better, Hypertech or Superchips. Currently I am leaning toward Superchips because it comes with a towing program which Hypertech does not. Also, I have heard that Hypertech only works at full throttle, but I do not know if this is true or not. Before I buy, I was wondering what you all consider to be the better option and why.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
zeekxxx
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Superchips vs. Hypertech

I think silverdodge did this and went with the hypertech power programmer 3. Send him a private message and Im sure he will be more than happy to help you..

I will be going with that one from his prior recommendation.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:55 PM
2big2dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also heard that more people gowith the hypertech PPIII. so i suppose there is prob. a reason for that.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can only speak for the Hypertech because it is simply too expensive to buy both to see which is better. I definelty am happy with the Hypertech though. I wish it had a tow setting like the Superchips, but I don't know that it would matter much. I run mine on the mid grade setting because I tow. The Dyno sheets that come with the programmer show better low end torque numbers with the mid grade then the high grade setting, which is mostly top end. That might be why you hear some say that it only performed at wide open throttle. Just run it on the mid grade setting if you want more low end.

I think with either of these programmers, you will be happy. They both seem to give folks good results. Only way you will ever know for sure which is better is to try them both, but like I said, that is very expensive.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:46 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

which is better? in what respect? superchips bumps the rpm's every 200 rpms and then tests and changes parameters, hypertech is every 100 rpm's. superchips has a tow option, may or maynot be the same as the 87 program on the hypertech. both change tire sizes (if I remember correctly on the superchips) however my programmer (hypertech) will not change my tire size for some reason. both read dtc's too.

so I think you need to ask yourself, what it is you want out of a programmer. i went with hypertech because they've been around a long time and have some experience under their belt. superchips, I never heard of them until recently. I have no idea how long they've been in the programming business.

you also need to consider how your going to be using your truck... towing will require more low end torque, the 93 program on my hypertech takes away from the low end just a bit but helps out a lot on the upper end. the 87 program is just the opposite. Also consider any other mods your going to do to see what will work best with the program your pcm is running.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Something else you need to consider when buying a programmer is how modified is your vehicle. Hypertech's programmers are designed for stock and near-stock setups. I learned this the hard way on my own setup. When I first hooked it up, I tried to use the high octaine setting, but I had pinging real bad. I eventually had to switch to the mid grade programmer setting, but run high octane fuel. This seemed to work better, noticable gain, but no pinging. I called Hypertech and talked to one of their techs. He said the reason I had detonation was due to the fact that my setup was not stock (I had CAI, bored TB, headers, and cat-back free flowing exhuast). He said with out those other mods, the premium setting would have worked better for me, but my mods were operating outside the parameters that the programmer was anticipating.

I have spoke with them again on this topic since deciding to install 1.7 ratio rockers. They said I would probably not see any benefits from the programmer when I switch to the 1.7rr's. The 1.7's make the pcm think I have installed a cam (more lift and duration), so it will be compensating for that. The programmer is not designed for modified cam lifts and durations. This is what I am planning to test when I get on the dyno (now going to be Friday). One run with the programmer, one without, then install 1.7's and repeat.

This is one of the reasons I am considering having KRC fix me up with a custom PCM that is tailored for the type of gains I want out of my truck (low end versus top end, towing capable, etc...), and that works with my modifications to maximize them.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I am running a cold air intake, machined 50mm throttle body, and a cat back exhaust. Does this mean that I will not see gains from the Hypertech as you described? I would hate to spend all that cash and see no performance increase.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I dont entirely agree with Silvers comments... when I built up my 360 back in may...

mods are:
R/T heads, K&N intake kit, crower 1.7 RR's, new timing chain, gibson headers, MSD ignition, fuel cooler, flowmaster dual out exhaust, modified intake and the hypertech program on 93 setting (up until about 6 weeks ago).

it ran killer for about 3 months, no pinging, strong power etc. then pinging started on the 93 program. yanked it back down to stock so I could troubleshoot it. so far i've found that the plug gap widened out to .045" and I suspect my cap and rotor are toast (they were cheep ones... <no flames now...> that was all I could find at the time). could this cause the pinging? I doubt it but it's my next step in troubleshooting my problem.

I do agree that the programmer was set for stock motors and that a custom pcm setup would make the most of the mods done to any setup. however, the programmer is going to change the timing and fuel mapping for the better, and you should be able to have performance improvements from that. maybe not the best but it will still be better then stock programming.

my point being that with all the mods on there and a fresh tuneup, it ran killer w/o pinging and on the 93 octane program. When my truck has the 93 program even now, it still runs killer, it just pings under certain conditions (heavy load, low rpm).

i hope Reid will post is dyno results when he gets them...

Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ya, I guess that is what I was getting at. You might still see gains, but not the same as you would with a stock setup (which is what it was designed for). I suppose that it is possible you might see better gains. In my case, it was not.

I will definetly post my dyno results, unless they are embarrasing, in which case I will make up some numbers so you will all think my truck is awesome.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

lol, no way man you have to scan in the dyno sheet and post it!

also I think your issue could be altitude related. when your on the dyno, make sure you get the AFR plot that goes with it so we can have a look at that too... [sm=alcoholic.gif] trucks... they're an addict (hickup)ion...

Quick Reply: Superchips vs. Hypertech