2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP? transfer case issue??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

If something is binding somewhere in the driveline, the t-case is going to bear the brunt of the abuse. Not surprising that is where you hear it from.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:31 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The weak links would be cross-joints, R&P then xcase internal parts. As the truck opts in 2wd fine this leads me to believe its could be in the front diff.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Since it will roll a ways, then come to a stop, wonder if you have mismatched gears......

Old 11-15-2014, 01:52 PM
98" Coalroller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Since it will roll a ways, then come to a stop, wonder if you have mismatched gears......

That was the problem the first go around because the wrong gears in the rear diff from my brothers stupid mistake. But it still could be wrong gears, from one of the previous owners they may have done front and rear gear swap to help with the lift an big tires... Hell idk work is so busy right now probably wont be able to tear into any of it till Tuesday

Old 11-15-2014, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

When you get the chance, pull the cover off the front diff. Generally, replacement gears will have the ratio etched into them somewhere on the ring gear.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:22 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as the vac lines are workin like you say they should be, id start at the cad, take the 4 bolts off and have your buddy put it in and out of 4wd and make sure the fork moves. if it does then your good there, make sure the collar can slide freely and not bound up, put the CAD back on. then check gears in the diff. if it never makes any noise with the front driveshaft off, then its gotta be because of something in that diff. not sayin the sound aint coming from the t-case though, but the diff is causing it.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Ridingtherhino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98" Coalroller
I thought the t case was ok to, because when I fixed the rear diff I took the front drive shaft out and put it in 4x4 an drove it around an the t case made no noise... I would think if something was broke or out of wack it would do something. It only binds up when the fwd drive shaft is in. I replace the metal vacuum lines already because they were rusted out after I fixed the rear diff. I noticed there wasn't a "MAIN" vacuum line on the CAD I so did some research an I went to the auto parts store an got some rubber 3/8 line I believe an ran it to the intake (had an open spot on the driver side of the intake). Did I hook this up wrong? Can anyone send some pics of how there vacuum lines are hooked up? Im hoping its not the tcase either. Ima try to get the front diff cover off tonight an check it out. An i dont know if this helps but my 4x4 light is on too an its in 2wd.. Thanks for the help so far
With the front shaft disconnected you will here the t-case a little bit
Did you check the u joints on the front shaft there are 2
as far as the light goes shift it all the way into 4 low and then back to 2 high

Quick Reply: HELP? transfer case issue??