2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 5.2L Transmission Issues AFTER Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:09 PM
hotrodhome
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 5.2L Transmission Issues AFTER Rebuild

Hey everyone, new to the Forums a sa member nut I have enjoyed may tips and solutions over the years. Now I have an issue of my own.

Have a 97 5.2L 4WD, I got the transmission rebuilt about 7,000 miles ago by Aamco. Unfortunately the warranty has expired due to time and i have been driving my truck more frequently. Randomly driving down the road it will start to jump gears typically jumping into a lower gears every few seconds and it will keep doing it for about 2-5 Mins then it usually drives fine again.

Any Ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I just cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve and replaced the throttle body gasket which was almost completely disintegrated.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Verify the TV cable is adjusted properly, and moves freely. Also, make sure there aren't any trans codes. (or pending ones either....) If that all looks ok, disconnect the 8 pin connector about halfway back on the drivers side of the trans. See if the issues goes away. The trans will NOT have ANY automatic functions, and you won't have O/D, or TCC either, so, don't drive it long like that...... If the problem doesn't repeat itself, replace the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid. (and filter and fluid. just for the heck of it.)

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: 97 5.2L Transmission Issues AFTER Rebuild